ROMAN

Shipping around Hull

Re: ROMAN

Postby magoonigal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:19 am

I'm sure your right. On Saturday (14th) the Acc Barge ASV PIONEER was towed from Blyth to the Tyne to Dry Dock. NOBLEMAN came up from the Tees on the Friday and berthed alongside the Barge overnight. The YORKSHIREMAN left the Humber on Friday Night and came up to Blyth at full speed all the way to arrive in Blyth at 0730 on Saturday. The barge was towed out at 0830 on Saturday with NOBLEMAN head tug and YORKSHIREMAN stern tug. Once out at sea the YORKSHIREMAN returned to Blyth to lie over until Sunday when she left for the Tees, and then the Humber. NOBLEMAN took the tow to the Tyne where she was assisted by the SVITZER TYNE and SUN to drydock the barge. She then left later in the day to return to the Tees. The job was said to be cheaper than Svitzers price for getting the SUN and TYNE to Blyth. Svitzers have covered all the Barges moves in the past. Taking all into account I cannot see SMS making any money out of the tow, but it does get then noticed.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Patrick Hill » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:52 pm

From SMS Facebook account :

SMS Towage are pleased to announce our long term partnership with Redcar Bulk Terminal to provide towage services at their deep water terminal in Teesport
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Patrick, is there a Base for SMS on the Tees? Regards, Ron@2.
Hornbeam

Postby magoonigal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:23 pm

I think the answer to that, at the moment is no, Ron. They seem to be using the berth on the Port Clarence side just above the Transporter Bridge opposite the Tees Dredger base etc.. the most or the Far Side of the old entrance to Middlesbrough Dock.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:26 am

Thank You for your reply Paul, Svitzer must have been spitting feathers when SMS based themselves near the old Middlesbrough Dock close to their Base. :x Ron@2.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:05 am

I recall the day around mid-1980's when I was Commercial Manager for Hull and a chap from the newly-formed SMS came in to ask if it would be OK for them to base tugs in King George Dock ... well, there was no legal control or restriction by us over towage so the answer was yes ... did I help to start something big? :roll:
What chance they will receive a healthy take-over bid in due course?
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Patrick Hill » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:47 am

Four of the fleet up there at present, ROMAN, PULLMAN, YORKSHIREMAN and NOBLEMAN.
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:38 am

northeast wrote:I recall the day around mid-1980's when I was Commercial Manager for Hull and a chap from the newly-formed SMS came in to ask if it would be OK for them to base tugs in King George Dock ... well, there was no legal control or restriction by us over towage so the answer was yes ... did I help to start something big? :roll:
What chance they will receive a healthy take-over bid in due course?

Sounds like you are harking back to the old days N.E. Old man Crosthwaite soon put paid to Robinsons Tugs one way or another.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:50 am

Well at least he continued to use my namesake tug :D

GEORGEROBINSON.jpg

GEORGEROBINSONtext.jpg

Photo and details from 'Seahorses of the Tees' by the late John Proud.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Patrick Hill » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:55 am

Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

PreviousNext

Return to Hull and Paull