Boat Building on the Tees

From South Gare to Stockton

Boat Building on the Tees

Postby Hornbeam » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:56 am

Anybody know what happened to the Double Ender Coble that was on the roundabout at Redcar, has she been scrapped or being refurbished? This Coble was built by the Pickersgill Yard at Thornaby who turned out many fine boats in particular Ships Lifeboats, I wonder how many are still around?
Hornbeam

Re: Boat Building on the Tees

Postby northeast » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:22 pm

My brother tells me it is/was VOLENTE owned by George and Peter White. I had assumed it must have become the property of the Council when it was placed on the roundabout (by Zetland Park). It does look good there, a reminder of inshore fishing which was prolific in the 1950's ... apparently two I remember well, JUNE ROSE and LADY ZETLAND of the Thompson family, are still around, they used to do the trips off the beach for the holidaymakers. Happy memories of when Redcar actually had dry sand all summer above the tide line!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:18 pm

The way things are going holidays at home are returning George, however there is no demand for sea coal collecting these days can't see today's youngsters doing that unlike in the 1950's :lol: The design of the Coble was interesting very narrow gutted on the Bow along to a broad beam at the Stern.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:31 pm

Those rotters in County Durham have stopped tipping their colliery waste into the sea, depriving honest Yorkshire folk of their seacoal :cry:
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:29 pm

Looking at the riverside now on the Thornaby side you would not think that there was a Row of houses backing on to the river along with Pickersgill Boat Yard tucked next to Victoria Bridge. There is a Boat Club in that area now with some interesting craft in it, one looks like an ex RN MFV which somebody has made a superb restoration on.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:24 am

Interesting history there, the ancient village of Thornaby was separate from the newer settlement of South Stockton on the Yorkshire side of the Tees, only in 1892 did they become unified as Thornaby-on-Tees. Hence the South Stockton Shipbuilding Co. after take over became Richardson, Duck of Thornaby.
When my grandparents were married in 1914, he was at 44 Thornaby Place which follows the river, upstream of the bridge, and she was at 42 Peel Street, a little to the south, surprised to see that they both still exist (the streets, not the grandparents :) )

Slightly less famous than my mother, Thornaby was also the birthplace of Grace Pace, mother of Captain James Cook.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Patrick Hill » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:49 am

I think some of you might find this site of interest :)

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... =BingHybDo
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:25 am

Interesting Maps Patrick, although on a couple of Maps it mentions Airfield there is no sign of the Runways, aircraft from Thornaby found the 'Altmark' and one of the Squadrons was the first to have the Uffa Fox designed Airborne Lifeboat issued to it , AB1, old Thornaby had its heart taken out when the new Post War route of the A66 went right through it, the old pre War proposed route of the A66 was to the South of the town and road building started which was still there in the 1950's but was then abandoned I presume when War started? Thornaby Place has no houses at all now, it does have a nice Cafe called Pier 22 where you can sit and watch the river activities go by, well you could pre Covid-19 :x Thornaby had a great Shipbuilding tradition going way back and built numerous Landing Craft during WW2 under an amalgamation of Companies known as Stockton Construction. The nearby Works built the Casings for the 'Bouncing Bomb' as well as numerous other large munitions. Post War they Cast ships Stern Frames. Not a lot of people know that :D
Last edited by Hornbeam on Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:05 pm

Thanks for the site link, Patrick ... just checked out our house, standing all alone pre-1900!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:48 am

I think that the last vessel built at Thornaby must be the large steel Motor Yacht a few years ago, she was built just a bit further down from the Old Mill site, her Builder/Designer was Alec Briggs who started off at Willie Grays in Hartlepool, then I believe to the old Whitehall Shipyard and afterwards he formed a Company in Darlington called CEBEC which built 40 odd foot Steel Motor Yachts. He left CEBEC after a 'power struggle' with the other Directors and was last seen on this particular Motor Yacht whilst she was under construction. Anybody on this Site work on her or know her fate?
Hornbeam

Next

Return to The Tees