WHITBY (transport launch)

WHITBY (transport launch)

Postby teesships » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:53 pm

The WHITBY was the transport launch for the TCC River and Dredging crews.
As can be seen she also undertook river trips.
CAREER DETAILS - WHITBY: no particulars known; owned by Tees Conservancy Commissioners;
1.1.1967 ownership passed to Tees and Hartlepools Port Authority;
taken out of service by early 1975 and subsequently sold.
phwhitby.jpg
Ron
teesships

Re: WHITBY (transport launch)

Postby northeast » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:54 pm

I have her as 1960, 47grt and built at Whitby.
1973 sold as SUMMER QUEEN or SUMMER CLOUD
and a cross-ref to Tees Packet 153 so Ron, dig it out!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby teesships » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Ooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do hate these people with efficient filing systems ...... and who actually then know where to find something in it!!!

Thanks, George.

Ron
teesships

Postby taximan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:34 am

Here is a photo of the launch of MV Whitby at Whitby

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1 ... hoto%2cjpg
Just one more trip
taximan

Postby teesships » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:23 pm

northeast wrote:I have her as 1960, 47grt and built at Whitby.

I must admit I had completely forgotten that in a series of articles across seven issues of TEES PACKET (nos 148-154 during 2002/3) that the late John Proud had compiled an updated T.C.C. fleet list with much more comprehensive detail than I had personally given in my earlier effort in the May 1966 TP, when TCC were approaching their final months.

John confirms the WHITBY was launched by Mrs J.S.B. Gentry (wife of the TCC General Manager) from Whitby Shipbuilding and Engineering Co. on 24 May 1960. Completed August 1960. 47gt, and constructed of wood. Sold 1975 and 1978 renamed SUMMER QUEEN (or SUMMER CLOUD?).

Now that my ancient mind clicks into gear, my recollection is that when sold in 1975 she was purchased by Fred Inskip who, at the time, was one of the Superintendents at the THPA Craft Depot (which had been relocated to Middlesbrough Wharf [part of the former Tyne-Tees/Dent's Wharves] from the old TCC Graving Dock towards the end of 1968 [September or December .... memory fades!!!]).

Taximan, from your recent contributions I take it you were involved with the TCC Graving Dock/River Section back in the 60s?
My own main career was 35 years in the Personnel Department at Queens Square for TCC/THPA. See: viewtopic.php?f=139&t=14271

Ron
teesships

Postby taximan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:38 pm

teesships wrote:
northeast wrote:I have her as 1960, 47grt and built at Whitby.

I must admit I had completely forgotten that in a series of articles across seven issues of TEES PACKET (nos 148-154 during 2002/3) that the late John Proud had compiled an updated T.C.C. fleet list with much more comprehensive detail than I had personally given in my earlier effort in the May 1966 TP, when TCC were approaching their final months.

John confirms the WHITBY was launched by Mrs J.S.B. Gentry (wife of the TCC General Manager) from Whitby Shipbuilding and Engineering Co. on 24 May 1960. Completed August 1960. 47gt, and constructed of wood. Sold 1975 and 1978 renamed SUMMER QUEEN (or SUMMER CLOUD?).

Now that my ancient mind clicks into gear, my recollection is that when sold in 1975 she was purchased by Fred Inskip who, at the time, was one of the Superintendents at the THPA Craft Depot (which had been relocated to Middlesbrough Wharf [part of the former Tyne-Tees/Dent's Wharves] from the old TCC Graving Dock towards the end of 1968 [September or December .... memory fades!!!]).

Taximan, from your recent contributions I take it you were involved with the TCC Graving Dock/River Section back in the 60s?
My own main career was 35 years in the Personnel Department at Queens Square for TCC/THPA. See: viewtopic.php?f=139&t=14271

Ron

I worked on the river for a number of years, mostly with what was then referred to as the water gypsies as a river labourer. My job description was simply do as you are told and get on with it. I was often part of the crew on the floating crane at this time. Some of the other craft that I worked on were No 10 Dredger, Heortness, and No 1 Dredger. I was also coxwain on the Tees Comissioner for a while. One vessel that I have always had a soft spot for was No 64. although I only had the occasional day on board, she was the first ship I ever went to sea in I Happy days indeed.
Just one more trip
taximan

Postby teesships » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:50 pm

50 YEARS AGO TODAY!

New scan from original negative of view above.
Passing Dock Point inward bound - 27 June 1968:
whitby270668.jpg
Ron
teesships

Postby Hornbeam » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:03 pm

Unfortunately not a good advert for the old Whitehall Shipyard at Whitby as she was forever breaking down, her two main engines were Ford Thorneycrofts and a twin cylinder genny all on Keel Coolers. The Ford Thorneycrofts were marinised diesel six cylinder truck engines which were used at that time as a basis for other converters like the superb Ford Sabre range. The main engines were not really the problem, it was where they were positioned which was below the Bridge where the Porthole is and the long length of shafting to the Props via the Stern Glands. The Stern Glands had an automatic enclosed oil lubrication system which dumped all its oil into the Bilges on a regular basis. No matter what they did to try and solve the problem it still kept on happening possibly through shaft misalignment, clearly a high tech solution was called for, wait for it------ the auto lub system was ripped out and the Stern Glands were fitted with large Grease Cups. Not sure if it they had any further problems with this craft as I was on my way shortly after the high tech solution was fitted.
Hornbeam

Return to T.C.C. craft