NORTH EAST MARINE ENGINE BUILDERS

Re: NORTH EAST ENGINE MARINE BUILDERS

Postby fitter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:48 pm

Quite right, thanks for the consolation !!
Additional engine builders:
Armstrong Whitworth
Amos and Smith, Hull
Earls SB & DD CO, Hull
C.D. Holmes, Hull
Macoll and Pollock, Sunderland
Smiths Dock, M'bro
fitter

Postby magoonigal » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 pm

George usually does it to me when I'm trying to id a ship by pointing out the book with the best picture in is usually under my nose................
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby fitter » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:08 am

Its the problem with accumulating so much for so long. I've got ten boxes of books waiting to be sent for sale due to being unable to move in my office attic. Some years ago I brought two transit vans full of material from Kincaids when they closed down, its frightening the amount of stuff in here and unless you have the time to catalogue books and articles its inevitable that you forget, but my late mate Mike, perhaps like George, seemed to know exactly where everything that he had was and could remember that he had it. He was of course retired and had been for several years. But it is quite amazing what the site has, how much people know collectively and how generous most are with sharing it.
1-doxstamp.jpg
fitter

Postby fitter » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:30 am

Whilst this isn't directly to do with the North East, it is a result of Doxfords design. Henry Ford , (Ford Motor CO, had two great Lakes bulk carriers built in the very early 1920s by Sun Shipbuilding and D.D. Pennsylvania, (Henry Ford 2 and Benson Ford, named after his grandsons). Sun were one of the first Doxford licencees, if not the first. He was so pleased with them that he had a twin bank Doxford built for a 1914 Pusey and Jones built, steam turbine yacht, Sialia. It was the only one ever built and epitomised Ford's progressive approach to everything. It was a twin bank, four cylinder, which I think should just be called an eight cylinder, with aluminium frames, driving two propellers. He had the yacht lengthened by 21 ft, but the design never lived up to its expectations and he reverted to vacations on the Lakes in one or other of the bulk carriers. When on board he had the Sialia pennant raised. The Sialia was commissioned twice by the American navy before being sold. One of the bulkers had its fore end accommodation removed and made into a lakeside home and is still there today. I posted a detailed article on Seatheships if anyone is interested, but don't want to misuse this site by adding world wide material accessible elsewhere. It was just the Doxfords connection and an example of how their design began to spread world wide, very quickly that I thought might be of interest. If anyone wants more details I would be happy to send them via a Private Message.

SIALIA cross section.jpg
fitter

Postby Tony Frost » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:26 am

I have alist of Clark-Sulzers built at Sunderland but became confusing when the company renamed G.Clark& NEM Wallsend and Sunderland works as they started to share out engine contracts with Sunderland numbers.Then they formed Clark-Hawthorn and finaly Clark-Kincaid.
CS.JPG
Tony Frost

Postby fitter » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Thank you. That is very helpful. The confusion about who built what, where and when within living memory demonstrates the value of all of us recording what we know. If it is sometimes difficult for those of us to remember who can, what will it be like a generation hence who have had no direct contact with the industry and wouldn't even know where to look? It is arguable that any will want to look for it, as there appears to be a decreasing interest about the industry in an entertainment and leisure orientated culture, but some day people will want the information we have and will be grateful that we made the effort to preserve it, in the same way we ourselves appreciate accurate and reliable historical records. Maybe when China rules the world and WE as a third world country become the sweatshop, providing cheap labour, our descendants will regard us as heroes for recording and preserving information. :) The way things are going we might even see it ourselves! Anyhow. i have re typed the list you posted and can send a copy by e mail if you want. I don't think it would be sensible to post it here.
Thanks again

PS You'll probably be aware that some of the ship names are not the original: 1495 and 1496 are Crowns Grindefjell (yn 235), and Rutenfjell (yn 236). Both were twin engine geared to a single shaft. They also appear, understandably, as R&W contracts, same engine numbers.
fitter

Postby fitter » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Doxford single cylinder experimental engine,1911, designed by Karl Otto Keller the Swiss engineer who worked on submarine engine design at Vosper Thorneycroft before joining Doxfords.
500L1 EXP.jpg
fitter

Postby magoonigal » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Just been reading about him on the Doxford Site.....

Its worth adding the link as it gives a bit more background on the Single Cylinder job.....

http://www.doxford-engine.com/keller.htm
magoonigal

Postby fitter » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Very interesting story, bit of a genius, His diaries are in Tyne & Wear Archives, but are not available to the public, (uncatalogued yet). In them he records how he was pestered by police in world war two because men in the shipyard believed he was a German spy.
fitter

Postby magoonigal » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:52 pm

I wonder if that contributed to his early death because he was only 65 when he died?

Although in 1942, 65 may have been considered old!
magoonigal

PreviousNext

Return to Doxford / Pallion