TAXIARCHIS - Redcar

For all those interested in wrecks on the coast and diving

TAXIARCHIS - Redcar

Postby northeast » Sun May 27, 2012 7:59 am

My grandfather helped to build her, or so it has been said.
And she ended her days on the beach at my home town when I was VERY young!
Vague memories of helping the local population to salvage her bunker coal, just a public duty to prevent it spoiling our fine sandy beaches :D
TAXIARCHIS1913Redcar.jpg

1913, 4221grt
Richardson, Duck & Co., Stockton-on-Tees (634) as CALDY for Fargrove Steam Nav. Co. (Farrar, Groves), London
1918 GRELCALDY, Dulcia Steam Shipping (J.C.Gould), Cardiff
1925 The Derwen Shipping Co. (D.G.Hall), Cardiff
1931 TAXIARCHIS, Lemos Brothers, Chios
Wrecked on the West Scar Rocks, Redcar on 14/1/1952, Leith for the Black Sea in ballast
Here she is in happier times
TAXIARCHIS1913.jpg
northeast
Site Admin

Re: TAXIARCHIS - Redcar

Postby teesships » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:56 pm

Recent mention of this event reminded me I had the following images in my TEESSHIPS archives:
taxiarchis1952.jpg
taxiarchis.jpg
As I commented at the time: Don't think either George or myself are in these views in short pants!!!!?

In the worrying times we are living in currently with the Covid-19 disease it somehow brings back to me just how momentous events were around the time of this wreck, which made a big impression on me as a 6-year old boy.

The TAXIARCHIS went aground only four days after the FLYING ENTERPRISE had sunk following a saga which had gripped the nation for a fortnight. All this was followed within weeks by the death of the king, George VI, on 6 February 1952.

Ron
teesships

Postby Hornbeam » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:44 pm

Like previous mentioned members I remember this vessel very well when she ended up on the beach and as children we had to have a look at her, she did look massive, if there is a member who has the ability to dig out her Incident Report I would be obliged if they could put it on this Site as I think members will find it interesting reading from what I remember of the incident and how it occurred.
This is one of the vessel's that was built locally, steams thousands of miles and ends up wrecked not far from where she was built.
Hornbeam

Postby magoonigal » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:58 pm

One report said her Greek Master mistook a Belisha Beacon on the Esplanade for the Leading Light. A partial cover was placed on the seaward side of the offending light after the incident.
Another report says that it was very misty at the time. An elderly lady who was walking her dog was chased up the beach by the TAXIARCHIS which was coming straight for her!
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby northeast » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:34 am

Contradictory reports there, Paul ... if misty I doubt he could see the Belisha, or even in good conditions! Just a coincidence that there was a crossing next to the New Pavilion as seen in the postcard view.
Out of interest
"Belisha beacons provide additional visibility to zebra crossings for motorists, primarily at night. The UK flash rate is 750 ms on, 750 ms off as per British Standard BS8442-2015, Para 12"
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:34 am

Thank You both for your replies, I would love to read the Official Report on her grounding if anybody knows where to find it and especially what time her grounding took place, I thought it was at night and I have more or less the same story as magoonigal in that there was some confusion in regards to lights, to support that they did indeed fit a half guard on the seaward side of the Belisha Beacon it was still there when I used to go to the Redcar Jazz Club.
Don't know about the Lady with the dog but he must have been at Full Ahead to get that far up the beach even with a high tide.
Confusions over lights still happens today even with all the Techno stuff on the Ships Bridge it was only a few months ago that a Norwegian Warship collided with a Tanker :o due to the Bridge Team being confused.com with lights as I understand it.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:42 am

Indeed she must have had some momentum to bounce over Coatham (West Scar) Rocks and get so far up the beach! She was in ballast though.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:38 pm

The problem with the Greeks is there always a suspicion of possible Insurance misdemeanours 8-)
Hornbeam

Return to Shipwrecks and Diving