ETHEL MAC

ETHEL MAC

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:07 pm

Ethel Mac.jpg
I got this image from former Hartlepool fisherman Tony Pearson. The vessel was originally named XL (HL 17) and later called "ETHEL MAC" as she is in this photograph - and taken in rough weather off the coast of Whitby.
Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Re: ETHEL MAC

Postby northeast » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:58 pm

A fine painting indeed.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:06 pm

Now there is a painting I would like to own as it brings back memories. Whitby has a tricky entrance at the best of times and when like us coming back from our annual holiday at Scarborough you get caught in a sudden squall it can be very tricky as my Dad and others found out running for shelter, there is or was a Sandbar just inside the harbour entrance which we bottomed out on and damaged the Rudder and we had to request assistance. Fortunately the Lifeboat turned out which just happened to be the Rowing Lifeboat as the Motor Lifeboat was assisting others in trouble.
We were one of three that day, Georgina, Lady Margaret (later known as John Vincent who was in convoy with us) and a Coble, the incident is on the Boards in the Old Lifeboat Station.
Hornbeam

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:27 pm

As a matter of interest I took this photograph of the framed image of ETHEL MAC as Mr Pearson laid it on a flat surface. He's also made arrangements to have a mural of the vessel painted on the side of his house in old Hartlepool. Durham Spray Paints will be doing it later this month.
Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Postby Hornbeam » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:13 pm

That will be interesting, I have Commissioned a painting from a Hartlepool Artist in the past, John Wigston in 1979 did a nice job for me when he painted 3 Mosquitoes flying in close formation at low level across the Sea.
Normally he was known for his paintings of Steam Locomotives including the Rocket which apparently hangs in a Museum in Moscow, that is unless RasPutin has thrown it in the B1N.
Hornbeam

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:51 pm

Hornbeam - it's nice to read about your work from John Wigston. I know the gentleman very well. We first met way back in 1967 and have been friends ever since. I'm proud to have one of his original paintings of an American steam engine. I also have some of his Christmas cards with steam engines on them! He's affectionately known as "Wiggy" and, although not in Hartlepool these days, he's based near Bishop Auckland.
Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:48 pm

I am sure he will remember my painting of the 3 Mosquitoes when you next talk to him and give him my Regards if you would please. The excellent painting has hung on my Hall Wall ever since barring for redecorating of course, I live only a Mile away from a Mosquito crash site.
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:54 pm

IMG_0294.jpeg
Here we are
Hornbeam wrote:Now there is a painting I would like to own as it brings back memories. Whitby has a tricky entrance at the best of times and when like us coming back from our annual holiday at Scarborough you get caught in a sudden squall it can be very tricky as my Dad and others found out running for shelter, there is or was a Sandbar just inside the harbour entrance which we bottomed out on and damaged the Rudder and we had to request assistance. Fortunately the Lifeboat turned out which just happened to be the Rowing Lifeboat as the Motor Lifeboat was assisting others in trouble.
We were one of three that day, Georgina, Lady Margaret (later known as John Vincent who was in convoy with us) and a Coble, the incident is on the Boards in the Old Lifeboat Station.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:55 am

That's a remarkable photo, Ron2, are they actually towing you .... 'tow by row'!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:38 am

A bit of Row Tow and Pilotage help in the sense that we had lost the use of the Rudder and being single engined we had lost steerage direction, as you know the waves roll into Whitby Harbour and having a Wine Glass Transom Stern a wave could easily easily turn us sideways and then we would have been in the deep do dah. Having a single Petrol Engine at that time she seemed quite slow when at sea but remarkably fast in a confined harbour and with the waves rolling in pushing our Stern we would have most probably have overtaken the Lifeboat if Father had applied power.
As you know in those days when your father told you to sit where you are you stayed put so I sat at the rear of the Wheelhouse with my Kapok filled B.O.T. Lifejacket looking like a miniature Mae West :D
Hornbeam

Next

Return to Fishing Vessels of Hartlepool