ERODONA repair at Blyth

Postby northeast » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:42 am

Just a small item that caught my attention:

https://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/ship/818.html
northeast
Site Admin

Re: ERODONA repair at Blyth

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:17 am

Quite a modern looking Tanker especially her Bridge Structure considering she was built in 1937, perhaps she is original barring for a new Stern and Bridge :D
Hornbeam

Postby magoonigal » Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:31 am

ERODONA BEFORE P.jpg
ERODONA AFTER P.jpg
Before and after pictures of the ERODONA.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Hornbeam » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:40 am

Great pictures Paul, remarkable the repairs that had to be done in Wartime especially when it came to Tankers. Brave Men who sailed during the War, Very Brave Men who sailed on Tankers and exceptional Brave Men down the Engineroom knowing full well that the Engineroom was the target for a Torpedo to come bursting through the Hull.
Met and spoke to a few Chiefs and Seconds who sailed during the War, their stories were harrowing to say the least when they had been torpedoed.
Believe it or not there was some "funny" episodes where one Engineer was sat in the Lifeboat waiting for it to be lowered when he realised he had forgotten his prized Guitar and jumped back on to the sinking ship to retrieve it.
Ron M will know the chap, I knew him as "Jock" Russell at the Yard. I used to have a drink with him in the Cleveland Pub when I lived in the Boro.
I wouldn't sail on Tankers in Peacetime never mind Wartime bearing in mind in the 1960's they had the nasty habit of going BANG :o besides sailing to rubbish Ports Miles from nowhere.
Hornbeam

Return to Shipbuilding at Blyth