Corporation Pier 1965

Corporation Pier 1965

Postby simonships » Thu May 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi,

Not the best picture, but I hope it captures the flavour of the 60's at the Pier. The film is Gratispool apalling stuff, but cheap at the time (I was 7 at the time)

The barge in the foreground is Cooks "Diane", the figure on deck is my Dad.

Dads barge.jpg

Regards
Simon
simonships

Re: Corporation Pier 1965

Postby northeast » Thu May 17, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks for this one Simon, I am sure we will hear much more from all the barge 'old hands' in the area!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Starr5 » Thu May 17, 2012 6:45 pm

I was skipper of Dorothy H Then and cannot remember Dave Cooks Dianne, what was she used for and what is your Dads Name Knew a few of Cookies younger crews.

Mike P
Starr5

Postby simonships » Thu May 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Starr5 wrote:I was skipper of Dorothy H Then and cannot remember Dave Cooks Dianne, what was she used for and what is your Dads Name Knew a few of Cookies younger crews.

Mike P

Hi Mike,

The Dianne was used mainly for trawler bunkers, and some trips up the River Hull with oil fuel for the mills etc.

My dad was Harry Lee, he started with Cooks in about 1961 he also worked on the Onward Pioneer and the Regent Linnet, with the odd tip on the Morgan. He finished with Cooks in April 1966, after a near fatal accident on the Linnet at Saltend. After that he worked for the CEGB at Creyke Beck.

We had a family connection to Cooks as my Uncle married one of Daves daughters, which is how dad got a job, he had previously been deep sea and a Humber pilot apprentice during WW2.

Regards
Simon
simonships

Postby Starr5 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:35 am

Thanks Simon I still cannot recall Diane , remember the others George Elgey was on Linnet for a time

Mike P
Starr5

Return to Hull Tugs and Port Craft