KAPITAN KULINICH

Shipping around Hull

KAPITAN KULINICH

Postby Patrick Hill » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:59 pm

Kapitan Kulinich Ru 12,367/1981
Fish Carrier
Kaliningrad
VEB Mathias-Thesen-Werft - Wismar. (218)
ex Kapteinis Kulinics - ??, Kapitan Kulinich - 91
26/03/2000 Berthed 7/8 sheds, King George Dock, Hull.

kapitankulinich.jpg
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Re: KAPITAN KULINICH

Postby magoonigal » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:31 pm

Not surprised you were confused with this one Patrick...... :o

As you have pointed out, Lloyds has her name changed to KAPTEINIS KULINICS since 1991 when she was down as being Owned by Galaxy Alliance SA, Mgrs Riga Transport Fleet, Panama.
Yet here she is in March 2000 clearly named KAPITAN KULINICH.
I wonder if her supposed name change was a mis-translation of her original name.

Certainly she is named as Kapteini Kulinics in Lloyds all the way through and that's her name in Equasis.

Looking at her Inspection Reports makes interesting reading.

She was inspected at Alabama by the US Coastguard on the 15th December 2008 and NO deficiencies are recorded.
She then crossed the Atlantic to Falmouth and was inspected again, five weeks later on the 21st January 2009 and 23 Deficiencies were found.
She was not detained and continued on to St Petersburg where she was inspected again on the 6th February 2009. This time 56 deficiencies were found and she was detained for 37 Days.

Reading the List, its hard to believe that she could get into a state where the only alternative was to scrap her between the 15th December and the 6th February.

Following release from detention she was sold and headed off to Mumbai for scrapping, arriving on the 31st July 2009.
If I'm reading Equasis correctly this was completed by the 23rd October 2009.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby northeast » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:04 pm

The change was the Latvian version of the former Russian name, as happened with many of the Baltic States vessels when they got their independecne from Russia on the break-up of USSR.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby magoonigal » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Very interesting but very confusing as we would normally translate the name as per "The Ambrose Greenway" method and get the old name.

Would the nameboard on the Bridge show the new name?
magoonigal

Postby teesships » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 pm

.... and how often (going back 50 years myself!) did we find the English wording on the nameboard simply did not match the Cyrillic translation in Lloyd's Register!

One example, as I reported on TEESSHIPS back in 2000!
PETR STRELKOV aka PYOTR STRYELKOV! I eventually found her in Lloyd's Register under the above transliteration of her name. Yet, her nameboard clearly showed PETR STRELKOV - I know, because I was looking at it from the deck of the NORSEA for long enough before we sailed. It has been a bone of contention between myself and the Register for over 30 years that they prefer their own translation of the Cyrillic characters; and ignore whatever translation the Russians themselves apply!

Ron
teesships

Postby magoonigal » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:31 pm

Hahahaha Ron.

Its simple, they know we cannot resist a challenge........

The ones that usually beat us are the Chinese.
magoonigal

Postby northeast » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Ron, it may well be that the owners submit the name to LR and then the crew do their own version on the name board / bow, so it's not necessarily LR that cause the confusion.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby magoonigal » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Bernard McCall mentions an even worse one in the latest edition of Coastal Shipping when the Cyrillic Letters on the ship clearly show her name as PRINCESSA ARKTIKI when the recorded name in all sources is ARCTIC PRINCESS.........
magoonigal

Return to Hull and Paull