AKADEMIK NEMCHINOV

Shipping around Hull

Re: AKADEMIK NEMCHINOV

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:15 pm

To quote that famous passage " There are known knowns, there are things we know we know", etc, etc, courtesy of Donald Rumsfeld @ confused.com. :?
I will have to check if your name is on the List George :D
Hornbeam

Postby buggins » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:34 pm

Hornbeam I wondered if Op.Hornbeam was named after you or vice versa ?
buggins

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:13 pm

I was part of the combined RN/RAF 'Operation Hornbeam' system which is no longer in operation and used it as my site name to see if others may have been in the system and would recognise the connection, made redundant by Satellites. Gone are the days of blagging a flight on the flying 10,000 Rivets (Shackleton's)
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:48 pm

Further to my last on 'Operation Hornbeam' I must point out that unless you were actually involved within this system members of both RN and RAF would be unaware of its existence, would I be correct Buggins that you were unaware of the system?
Hornbeam

Postby magoonigal » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:44 pm

Hornbeam.
This was the cold war spy guide issued to some vessel captains in the British Merchant Navy and fishing fleets. Operation Hornbeam was a secret project aimed at gathering intelligence on the specification and location of enemy (Communist) vessels from countries such as USSR, Vietnam, Romania, Poland, China, Hungry, German Democratic Republic, Czechoslovakia, Korea, Cuba, Albania, Bulgaria etc. The document runs to over 100 pages and includes numerous ship profiles, guide to identifying electronic communications equipment, lists of vessels, coloured pages of stack markings and ensigns and of course instructions on what to record and report back. :ugeek: :ugeek:
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby magoonigal » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:55 pm

Screenshot 2021-10-26 at 00-46-54 Operation Hornbeam - cold war shipping spy manual RARE #247191962.png
magoonigal

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:50 am

You have got it Paul were you onboard? although I was not a Ships Master however because of my previous involvement in the RN I still have my own copy along with my contact card which fitted in my wallet and had the Russian Alphabet on as I carried on with the System during my MN days and afterwards as a person interested in shipping especially those from those Countries you mentioned ;)
Hornbeam

Postby magoonigal » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:46 am

No found that picture via Google. I think most people who have visited the ARCTIC CORSAIR at Hull will be aware of what went on from talking to the guys onboard, but like me, did not know what it was called.
magoonigal

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:14 am

It was only quite recently that I found that knowledge of the System was now in the public domain and has been for sometime , I have been trying to get a photograph of my somewhat battered contact card and a copy of my Manual like the one you have copied on to this site but have failed miserably yet again, the contact card has the Russian Alphabet on one side and the contact information (which I would not publish even now) on the other.
There has been conjecture over the missing Trawler and all Crew and if it was involved in the System for many years now.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:47 pm

northeast
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Hull and Paull