AISBERG/AJSBERG/AYSBERG?

Shipping around Hull

AISBERG/AJSBERG/AYSBERG?

Postby teesships » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:11 pm

AYSBERG: Russia, 265/56, 1981 reported broken up.
5phajsberg.jpg
Hull Docks, 4 July 1967.
Sighting this, which I regarded as a Russian trawler took my mind back to a river trip on the Clyde on 29 June 1964 when I had first sighted and photographed this same vessel. On each occasion I carefully jotted down the English version of the name as given on the side of the superstructure - my notebooks confirm this as AJSBERG.
Back in 1964 I had searched in vain for any entry in the Register for this ship and she, and a similar vessel which had been following her along the Clyde which I noted as OCEANOGRAF, went into the unidentified ships section of my collection.
By 1967 I obviously knew a little bit more, enough to suspect that the J might translate as a Y - or did I make that discovery purely accidentally (don't now know). Yes, there she was and as the AYSBERG she was able to take her place in my records as a new 1967 entry.
It was several years later, and I think this was by accident, I found she was actually in the Register back in 1964 - but than as AISBERG!! However, back then no record at all that I could find for the OCEANOGRAF. By 1967, however, she was to be found - as OKEANOGRAF.
Many, many years later, when I started to transfer my records onto computer, I was able to insert both ships in their rightful place in the sequence of 1964 sightings.
Over the years, I have come across many instances of the English version of Russian ship names at variance from those in the Register. This probably was my first such experience and, with the passage of time, she has been found in records with a second letter of I, subsequently Y, while all the time according to the ship itself it should have been J!
Ron
teesships

Re: AISBERG/AJSBERG/AYSBERG?

Postby teesships » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:13 pm

AYSBERG, U.S.S.R., 265gt, completed Stralsund 1956. 1981 reported broken up.
For what it is worth, this is the photo I had taken on the Clyde on 29 June 1964.
1211aysberg.jpg
Ron
teesships

Return to Hull and Paull