SHIPBREAKING AT WHITBY

Shipping, shipbuilding and fishing at Whitby

SHIPBREAKING AT WHITBY

Postby HSA31 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:16 pm

Returning from a day out in Whitby, in 1982, the last thing I expected to find was shipbreaking on the River Esk, a salmon river a few miles inland from Whitby. However, here we have the former minesweeper, HMS WISTON being broken up on the River Esk. I'm not sure if it was common knowledge and as far as I know it was a one off.
H.M.S. WISTON.. .jpg
HSA31

Re: SHIPBREAKING AT WHITBY

Postby magoonigal » Thu May 24, 2012 11:33 pm

Now if I was to mention the Murky World of H Kitson Vickers all will become clear.................

C F Booth and Later H Kitson Vickers set up shop in the old Dry Docks at Blyth and the first ship to arrive was the CORUNNA on the 11th September 1975.

The first "Ton" ASHTON arrived on the 4th August 1977 although official sources say she was broken up at Middlesbrough.

QUAINTON arrived on the 18th October 1979 and SHOULTON on the 17th April 1981.

They had an interesting method of Ship Breaking which appeared to consist of attatching the Crane Hook to the bit they wanted to remove and tugged at it until it gave up and parted company with the rest of the ship. The only safe place to watch this operation was from the other side of the wall.

The final ship to arrive was the Trawler BOSTON PROVOST on the 28th April 1982 and by this time the HSE were starting to take an interest in what was going on. In addition the Harbour Commission were also concerned about the level of contaminents in the bottom of the dock and started to call a halt to the proceedings.

The WISTON was built at Wivenhoe in 1958 and officially sold to Kitson Vickers on the 9th August 1982 for Breaking-up at Blyth.
My guess is that they had by this time been stopped from using the Dry Dock at Blyth and had to find somewhere quite to break her up......and You have found out where that somewhere quiet was.....

I rest my case M'laud!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50256734@N05/5172238489/
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby magoonigal » Thu May 24, 2012 11:49 pm

Gosh, that was clever.

I only intended to post the Link.
Here is another one showing just what happens when HKV get busy........

http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/ ... 03&cat=644
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby northeast » Fri May 25, 2012 6:34 am

Surely you can see Paul, it was an experimental new kipper house for Whitby! Not exactly oak-smoked but a nice tang of diesel about them .... yummee.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby brianh » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:13 pm

As an aside both Quainton and Wiston served as seagoing tenders to Tyne Division RNR taking the name HMS Northumbria whilst so serving.
brianh

Postby martinfbrown » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi,
Just joined the forum. i served on H.M.S. Wiston whilst in the Royal Navy Reserve at H.M.S.Calliope in Gateshead.
Martin.
martinfbrown

Postby northeast » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 am

Special welcome to Martin as he had a struggle to get through the registration process, causes unknown!
Good to have you on board at last.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby martinfbrown » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi,
Thanks very much George. Does anyone on the forum have any more details of H.M.S Wiston M1205. Thanks
Martin
martinfbrown

Postby taximan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:23 am

I found a couple of photos of 'Wiston'

The first as she was awaiting the breakers at Whitby
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1 ... hoto%2cjpg

And the next in happier times
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1 ... hoto%2cjpg
Just one more trip
taximan

Postby Hornbeam » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:15 pm

If I remember correctly was it not the Quainton whilst serving as Northumbria hit the ground outside of Berwick was recovered went into Drydock and found to be very badly damaged, patched up and sailed into Reserve until she was scrapped.
Hornbeam

Return to Whitby