Postby taximan » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:39 am

After many years of neglect it looks as if something is happening at long last

IMG_3250 (2)Able 1.jpg

IMG_3249 (2)Able 1.jpg
Just one more trip
taximan

Re: Whitby tug - Able One

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:25 am

She was up for sale perhaps her new owners are now working on her, these Tugs are a piece of history albeit Post War, they served around the world and were at onetime considered to be an important part of the American Military Logistics programme in the event of and duringthe period before Armageddon. :o
Hornbeam

Postby taximan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:09 pm

I was speaking with her owners this morning. A pleasant couple who go by the name of Cat & Rob, they told me that they are planning to use her as a live aboard. (unless they win the lottery of course).

IMG_3341r.jpg
Last edited by taximan on Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just one more trip
taximan

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:35 am

G.M. Taximan, from photographs I have seen of the other stripped out ex American Tugs from Hythe they can make a nice live aboard conversion. Are they planning to keep her moored at Whitby after completing the conversion or have her towed back to Hartlepool Marina? Ron@2.
Hornbeam

Postby taximan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:30 am

They told me they are hoping to stay at Whitby at her present berth and they are at present negotiating a price with Parkol to have her drydocked.
Something else they mentioned was the way the new 'Able One' came into being was that the previous owner of the old 'Able One' (getting complicated isn't it ;) ) intended having some alterations made to her, but the price was so high it made more sense to build anew.
Just one more trip
taximan

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:41 am

G.M. Taximan, the reason why they had a new version built is as you say from what I gather also as he wanted to put a new section in, the Owner must really like that style of Tug, still it will stand out in any Marina and it did provide work for Parkol employees a number of which are from the Boro area. Still wondering if the Fire Hydrant on the new version is real or a facsimile. I would think that for the price he paid for the new one he could have bought a nice Dutch steel Motor Yacht, but his money his choice.
Hornbeam

Postby magoonigal » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:30 pm

I was going to suggest it was for the Dog to have a wee on, but its a bit high up... :lol: :lol:
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby taximan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:17 pm

I had a few minutes to kill this morning and had a walk along the marina when I noticed that the old girl had had been put in the floating dock at Parkol. Work is ongoing it seems :o
Just one more trip
taximan

Postby Poyntonian » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:22 pm

P1130069 small.jpg
Her decks looked like a tip last week, but she is now being lived on. Access doesn't seem too good. I don't know what the postman does but at least they won't get cold callers.
Mike R
Poyntonian

Previous

Return to Whitby