Vole au vent

Blyth shipping past and present

Vole au vent

Postby creemaster » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Jan de Nul's wind turbine installation vessel Vole au Vent off Blyth yesterday at the start of installing the first of the five wind turbines for the EDF wind farm
Don't know what her name translates to, Google only does vol au vents.
I did however find a horse of the same name, a 6 year old French grey mare owned by Mrs S.A. Bramall and trained by Irishman John Cullen
Vessel details here:
http://www.jandenul.com/en/wind-turbine ... ion-vessel

Horse details here:
http://www.skysports.com/racing/form-pr ... le-au-vent

vole au vent.JPG
creemaster

Re: Vole au vent

Postby Whickham » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:53 pm

They are going to be BIG. I can hear the complaints from Seaton Sluice, Whitley Bay and Cullercoats already.
I think the Blyth residents will be used to turbines already.
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:21 am

Could be the first puff pastry ever seen at Blyth? :lol:
northeast
Site Admin

Postby creemaster » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:59 am

I think they are mushrooming out of the sea George
Regards
Graham
creemaster

Postby Whickham » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:42 pm

VOLE AU VENT installing the final turbine off Blyth 28/09/2017
(Had to do a little photo manipulation I admit)

Vole au Vent.jpg
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:34 pm

A fine view, Dave .... I see the tide had gone out :D
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Whickham » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:07 pm

Thanks George, I probably could have paddled out but wasn't sure whether I would get back in time :)
Dave
Whickham

Postby creemaster » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:29 pm

Well to quote the wife of our local MP after the installation of the first batch of turbines on the East pier, which are now gone and replaced by a single massive one on the land between Alcan and the pier, I am sure they will become a big tourist attraction for the town !
And lets not forget the two off Cambois/North Blyth which didn't work because the cables linking them to the shore were laid incorrectly and broke due to wave power.
And the urban myth that if the wind gets too strong they don't work in case they get damaged.
I can imagine the Face Book posts- they spoil the view out to sea etc. etc.
Live with it - the ones on the pier spoilt the background of photographs for years.
Spleen venting complete
Graham
creemaster

Postby creemaster » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 pm

The load-out of turbine components for the last two turbines to be installed at the Blyth Offshore Demonstrator Project construction site took place at the Port of Esbjerg. Two MHI Vestas 8.3MW turbines have been loaded onto Vole au vent, Jan de Nul’s jack-up vessel in charge of the installation. The installation of the first turbine was completed on 18 September, right after the gravity base foundations (GBFs) were installed using the new “float and submerge” process. The 41.5MW Blyth Offshore Demonstrator Project is the first to utilise the hybrid gravity based foundations, as well as 66kV electrical infrastructure. Cable laying works are also underway, carried out by VBMS, which is installing around 11 kilometres of 66Kv offshore cables that will connect the individual turbines and bring the electricity onshore. A further 1.5 kilometre of onshore cable will link directly to a new substation built on part of the site of the former Blyth power station. The first power at the wind farm is expected to be generated later this year. (source: Offshore Wind)
creemaster

Return to Blyth