NELLIST & SONS

Re: NELLIST & SONS

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:51 am

Thanks for your reply Ron, I don't suppose your Boss had a contact in ICI or the Employers building Aromatics One :shock: The Graving Dock was Friendly place, Jackie M was the man who knew what was going on, mind you those who stayed certainly seem to spend more years as Pensioners than they did at work and living well into their 90's. I use to see the Chippy tall John G.in the town years after I had left.
Hornbeam

Postby taximan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:11 pm

5392101731_dcf0452dce_b.jpg
taximan wrote:Two craft not mentioned, Lady Ina, she berthed by the transporter bridge early in the sixties. She was an old Humber Keel I believe. She was one of the sand wherry's working from Seaton Snook to Britannia wharf. I made a couple of trips downriver on her when I was 13 or so. The fare was a packet of chocolate biscuits per trip which I thought very reasonable even though I had to work my passage trimming the sand on the way back upriver. The other craft was was 'Rachel', An old steam barge which cant have seen a lick of paint since Adam was a lad. I think there may have been another craft similar to 'Lady Ina' though slightly larger, but she vanished from the scene long before the lady. As to Sweep & Moody, Wasn't one of them sunk by a shell from a German aircraft during the war. I have a vague recollection of a patch being pointed out to me at some time. There was also a mention of it in the 'On The Waterfront column in the gazette in the early sixties. as was an article about the Lady Ina.

It was Sweep that the jerry's sunk during the war.
Just one more trip
taximan

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:10 pm

Do you think they meant to sink her :D. Should have been renamed "Pepperpot" judging by the number of holes, where was she sunk? Always remember walking around the Hull of the John H Amos with the B.O.T. Inspector, by the time he had finished drawing circles with a cross inside I wondered if we would have any of the original Hull left. My comment was "Your Boss is going to love you" his repost was "I am the Boss" :)
Hornbeam

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous Port Craft