PILOT CUTTERS - Tees and Hartlepool

Re: PILOT CUTTERS - Tees and Hartlepool

Postby teesships » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:46 pm

AS my first photo above is no longer visible this is as good a time as any to substitute it with a new scan from the original negative.

A.G. MURRELL, W.R. LISTER and W.W. CONSTANTINE in Middlesbrough Dock - 28 July 1973 (MARMARIS I in background):
a.g.murrell+w.r.lister+w.w.constantine280773.jpg
Ron M
teesships

Postby teesships » Tue May 09, 2023 11:08 am

50 YEARS AGO TODAY!

Middlesbrough Dock - 9 May 1973:
alderman-b.o.davies+w.r.lister090573x1.jpg
alderman-b.o.davies+w.r.lister090573x2.jpg
New scans from original negatives of the two views of ALDERMAN B.O. DAVIES and W.R. LISTER shown above.

Ron M
teesships

Postby SAILFIN » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:46 pm

Absolutely beautiful boats with loads of history of the old tees.
SAILFIN

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:04 am

Craftsmen built vessels, barring for the team at Sunderland you would have a job finding a team to do Hull repairs on this type of vessel these days, like yourself I remember these vessels, if they are still around somewhere they most probably have an Iron Shoe fitted by now!
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:24 am

northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:14 pm

Thanks for the info NE, both vessel’s interesting in their own right however the “Lister” more so for me as her engine had the hands of Sir Harry Ricardo on her engine you might say, not literally of course but nevertheless the tuning mind of a truly brilliant Engineer who was called to get the best out of various engines and their systems during his lifetime.
He must have been the only Engineer to have his own Motor Yacht powered by Gas Turbine Engines when he converted an ex Service triple screwed 60ft Pinnace Post War. He retained the Centre Perkins 6cy but fitted Gas Turbines to the Wing Shafts.
I drove over to Preston Docks to have a look at her many years ago, she still exists I understand but without the G.T,s and is under refit I last heard.
I wonder what Sir Harry would make of the new thinking of partially Coal Fuelled Jet Engines? “Coal is still King” 8-)
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:40 pm

You mean they'll be building coal staithes at Heathrow? :D
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:21 am

northeast wrote:You mean they'll be building coal staithes at Heathrow? :D

Don’t think they would get planning permission NE however they would be quite happy to allow them “Up North” ;) as you are most probably aware them thar Wartime Nazis/Germans? ( I wish the media would make there mind up what they were called during that period when the chap with the the little Tache was in charge and I don’t mean Charlie Chaplin) made fuel out of Coal, I am presuming that the jet fuel is a refinement of that process which is making up around 50% of the fuel along with renewables making up the other 50%.
If they use Welsh Anthracite your average Airliner will go like a Rocket.
Hornbeam

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous Port Craft