NEW ZEALAND STAR

Postby Tony Frost » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:11 pm

NZ.JPG
Last one from from Haverton Hill
Tony Frost

Re: NEW ZEALAND STAR

Postby E28 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:05 pm

http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/view.ph ... AND+STAR#v

Quite short lived especially as she was lengthened to carry extra tins and given a third crane for handling. A nice looking ship but maybe impractical, uneconomic and duly inefficient.
This size tin carrier seemed to be neither one thing or another and are now almost extinct.

Cannot work out what's going on in top attached image but it's not where i'd fancy hanging around.
Thats all folks. Sean.
E28

Re: NEW ZEALAND STAR

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:18 am

Looks like the initial design was adapted to carry containers rather than built for Containers E28 when 'British Shipbuilders' were in turmoil ending up in most of the Yards going to the wall in Maggie Thatchers deal with the E.U.
Although a Smith's Dock design taken from a Drammen? she was as you are most probably aware built at the old Furness Yard, the first picture in the attached group shows her in the fitting out basin at the Furness Yard, the long shed behind is the Fitting Shop where the Head Fitting Out Foreman used to be a chap called Jackie Sutch a very talented Footballer and Hockey Player when Charlie Clore owned the Yard.
I worked at the Yard when Charlie Clore had the Yard until I was punted off my motorbike by a car driver who said " Sorry mate I didn't see you" when he piulled out of a junction :o, he went off to work and ended up in Ward12 at Middlesbrough General Hospital with two bags of sand tied to my ankles due to a back injury :x.
When I was at the Yard it was mainly 'Piece Work' unless you had a seperate contract which you drew money off as you desired, I was on a contract and I have to say my earnings were well above anywhere else on Teesside barring for the Welders who were working on the Modules at Willie Grays Yard at Greatham Creek.
Hornbeam

Return to Shipbuilding on the Tees