AMASONE

AMASONE

Postby teesships » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:05 pm

AMASONE (6716986) A/S Thor Dahl, Norway, 31500 gt, completed by Furness S.B. Co. Ltd., Haverton Hill, 7-1967.
Completed as THORSDRAKE (Norway), 1975 CAPE BRETON HIGHLANDER (Canada), 1980 CANADIAN HIGHLANDER (Canada), 1983 CITADEL HILL (Vanatu), BU Alang 12.5.94 [Ganpatrai Jaigopal]

This is what my personal records say. That is not what Lloyd's Register said. Right from her first appearance in the main register, that for 1968-9, there was no reference to the THORSDRAKE being launched as AMASONE. When I queried this point only a few years later I was informed that had been deleted at the request of the ship's owners! How many other instances have there been of the wishes of owners perverting the true course of shipping history?

But the AMASONE did exist, And her original name is not now hidden in modern resources such as Miramar and Teesbuilt.
See: http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/furness ... ke1967.htm

Possibly the local Evening Gazette recorded the launch? And that may be the source for the cover of a book you maybe did not expect me to have in my library! This was a book first published in 1969; by the time I saw and purchased a copy a few years had passed (including the introduction of decimalisation in 1971) and it had risen in price from 12.5p (I can't show the fraction for a half!) to 15p. Undoubtedly, a scene from the Tees and quite clear on the original is the name of AMASONE.
0507amasone.jpg
Ron
teesships

Return to Shipbuilding on the Tees