HELP?!

From South Gare to Stockton

HELP?!

Postby Wildcatmike » Mon May 22, 2017 9:24 am

Hello there

I hope you don’t mind a random post but I am needing some information and couldn’t think where to start.

I am creating a ‘Pub Opera’ set in Teesside which looks at the development of our community and what we ‘gave to the world’ in terms of Steel; railways and of course ships. The performance is the finale of a new Festival in Stockton on Tees and will involve around 150 Teessiders on July 22nd.

As part of the process I am wanting to create a small film where I ‘show’ my ancestors what they helped to create by travelling by train to London and pointing out their contribution, (forgive the strange concept - think It's A Wonderful Life).

I am pretty ok on bridges and railways but would love to visit any exisiting examples of ships that were built on the Tees and are now able to be seen. Are there any would you know and where could I find them please?

Many thanks

mike mcgrother
Wildcatmike

Re: HELP?!

Postby teesships » Mon May 22, 2017 10:09 am

Mike,

I am struggling to think of any significant vessels that still exist, but there is one small Tees-built ship that comes to mind. She is the yacht COB, built in 1911 as the tug SMITH'S DOCKS NO. 3. As far as I know she is berthed somewhere on the River Thames. An email to her owner James Muggoch at: jamesmuggoch@googlemail.com may elicit more up-to-date information.

For more details about the COB see: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=155

Ron
teesships

Postby Poyntonian » Tue May 23, 2017 8:23 pm

Mike,
I can't think of any other Tees built vessels in the UK.
However, if you are prepared to do a lot of travelling, there are a few Smith's Dock vessels still in existence -
Offshore support vessel OCEAN CARRIER, originally STAR ARCTURUS of 1976 now in Mexico,
Sister ship BOA CANOPUS, originally STAR CANOPUS of 1976 at Veracruz,
Bulk carrier NURAN ANA, originally KOPALNIA MYSLOWICE of 1980, currently heading for the Bosphorus from the Black Sea.
Offshore support vessel KHATTAF, originally BRITISH ARGYLL of 1986, laid up in Qatar.

No doubt this would be well beyond the resources of your project, but good look with it anyway.
Mike R
Poyntonian

Postby teesships » Tue May 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Mike,

Of course, if Hartlepool is included in your definition of Teesside then there are two prime examples of West Hartlepool-built ships still extant, one of them at Hartlepool already!

WINGFIELD CASTLE - see: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=335
TATTERSHALL CASTLE - see: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10571 (now back on the Thames).

Ron
teesships

Postby teesships » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Update on Mike's mention above of KHATTAF, originally BRITISH ARGYLL.
Further rename: 2017 KHATTAF I - Comoros flag
Disposal data: BU Alang 16.6.17, work began 24.6.17 [Anupama Steel]

See also: http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/view.ph ... ISH+ARGYLL

Ron
teesships

Return to The Tees