Tees Transporter Bridge

From South Gare to Stockton

Tees Transporter Bridge

Postby wreckmaster » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Would any one have a photo of the Tees Transporter Bridge which I could use on one of our websites ?.
If you check the http://www.sunderlandships.com/ at the bottom of the page I have an image of the Corsound.
I would like to use an image of the Bridge in the same way on a new page .
wreckmaster

Re: Tees Transporter Bridge

Postby teesships » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:52 am

The famous Teesside landmark, the Transporter Bridge (built 1911) across the River Tees between Middlesbrough (left) and Port Clarence (right).

Full-on views taken across the years!
Black and white:
phtransporter.jpg

17 November 2000:
1202transporter.jpg

23 June 2016:
transporter230616.jpg

Mick, you are free to use any of these, if suitable. Or are you looking for a photo from a more "interesting" angle?

Ron
teesships

Postby wreckmaster » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks Ron, Photo no 1 was taken for this purpose, its perfect.
Check bottom of page http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/
wreckmaster

Postby teesships » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:41 pm

I thought Forumites might also be interested in other Tees crossing points taken during a river trip on 29 September 2016.
Tees Newport Bridge:
newport-bridge290916x1-NEM.jpg

A19 Tees Viaduct:
a19-flyover290916x1-NEM.jpg

Tees Barrage:
tees-barrage290916x2-NEM.jpg

Ron
teesships

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:48 am

The Transporter Bridge is once again throwing open its doors as part of the national Heritage Open Days initiative. On Saturday, September 9th, visitors are invited to take a trip to the top of the iconic Tees Transporter Bridge. You can follow in the footsteps of history and climb the steps to the 160ft high walkway above the River Tees, or experience the newest addition to Tees Valley’s most famous landmark – a glass viewing lift that provides unique views across the area.

As part of the Heritage Open Days event, there will also be an opportunity for visitors to cross on the gondola (charges apply), explore the Winding House and learn more about the Bridge’s history in the Visitor Centre. Refreshments and exclusive Transporter merchandise will be available to purchase.

All activity is subject to suitable weather conditions and visitors are encouraged to contact bridge staff in advance if in doubt. It is recommended that those wishing to use the lift access to the top of the Bridge book in advance as spaces are limited. Wheelchair and pushchair access (children must remain in pushchairs when on the upper walkway) is available only via lift access. Those wishing to visit the upper walkway with young children or with the use of a mobility aid should contact Transporter Bridge staff in advance.

More information on the event including booking details are available on the Heritage Open Days website https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/visiting/event/tees-transporter-bridge or by contacting Bridge Supervisor John Ivison on 01642 727265.
Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Postby teesships » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:57 pm

teesships

Postby taximan » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:35 pm

This photo may interest some people, I took this pic in about 1967

Bike on bridge (colourised) .jpg
Just one more trip
taximan

Postby northeast » Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:42 am

Brings back memories from a walk-across around 1960 (age 14). I wrote about it at school and got called in to see the Headmaster, the feared Mr. Barker. Not to be told off, he was just a bit surprised I think.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:28 am

I blame those Bunjee Jumpers for putting the extra strain on our much loved Transporter Bridge the symbol of Teesside throughout the World, Mayor Houchen should be putting some of the huge amount of public money at his disposal to repair this iconic Structure instead of wasting it on unnecessary High Court fees which could have been avoided.
It was indeed a sight watching the employees who worked on the North Side of the River Tees carrying their bikes over the top when there were problems with mechanical/ electrical systems with the Bridge.
Hornbeam

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:15 pm

Bridge-100.jpg
Here's one from the archives - I took this on October 17th, 2011, when the Transporter Bridge was celebrating it's 100th anniversary.
Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Next

Return to The Tees