SACRAMENTO

From South Gare to Stockton

SACRAMENTO

Postby teesships » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Quite a splendid shot (in my view) of Ellerman Wilson's SACRAMENTO, 7096gt, their largest ship in the early 1960s.
Completed by Cammell Laird at Birkenhead in August 1945 she was transferred to the main Ellerman fleet in July 1964 as the CITY OF BRISTOL. In 1969 she was sold and renamed FELICE, and in 1971 became the 30 DE NOVIEMBRE. In July 1977 she arrived back in British waters to be broken up at Faslane.
I personally saw this ship in January 1961 which could be reasonably contemporaneous in my personal sightings with at least two other ships already featured (WELSH PRINCE and CHINKOA [q.v.]) and, therefore, it is quite possible Albert Weller recorded her sailing at the end of that visit.
1004sacramento.jpg
Interestingly, in the Weller photo albums there are two prints which have been "doctored", presumably by Albert himself, and coloured. I must say he made quite a reasonable job of it. One was this same view of the SACRAMENTO:
1004sacramentocol.jpg
The other, from the same viewpoint gives a general view of the Dock Cut running into the River Tees as many of us remember it. The old Dock Point Harbour Office is clearly visible on the left:
1004dockcut.jpg
Ron
teesships

Re: SACRAMENTO

Postby northeast » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:20 pm

... also OME Wharf and even the Ichaboe Buoys perhaps in the lower view!
northeast
Site Admin

Re: SACRAMENTO

Postby teesships » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:09 am

I am submitting enlargements of the views previously shown, but first comes one of the SACRAMENTO that Albert recorded in berth within Middlesbrough Dock:
sacramentoxawnegx1.jpg
sacramentoxawnegx2.jpg
sacramentoxawnegxgeneral.jpg
Sandwiched between the first two views of the SACRAMENTO on the strip of negatives is this interesting general shot of Middlesbrough Dock.
mbrodockgeneralxawneg.jpg
To the left is one of the East Asiatic white-hulled funnel-less motorships (ERRIA, JUTLANDIA, MEONIA, SELANDIA, etc.). To the right is a Niarchos bulk carrier with a WORLD prefix. My belief is these photo were taken by Albert in January 1961 as I noted the SACRAMENTO on the 21st - but neither of these other two ships were in dock on that date.
Ron
teesships

Return to The Tees