The first STRANTON

The first STRANTON

Postby teesships » Mon May 21, 2012 10:11 pm

Arising from other postings in this section concerning the Hartlepool tugs:
HART, completed 12.1958;
SEATON, completed 1.1959;
THROSTON, completed 6.1959
STRANTON, completed 11.1959;
there was in fact another of the class launched as STRANTON but completed 4.1959 as the HELEN M.McALLISTER for Canadian owners. (Not shown as such in Miramar, but confirmed by my 1960 Lloyd's Register.)
So, one wonders, was the original order for 5 tugs? Was the second STRANTON (launched 1.1959, thereby overlapping with the first STRANTON, presumably already then renamed before completion) intended to have a different name?
The four Hartlepool tugs were all 145grt, whereas the HELEN M.McALLISTER was 152grt. Later in life she became the OCEAN GOLF, but I do not have details of her full career or fate.

Ron
teesships

Re: The first STRANTON

Postby magoonigal » Mon May 21, 2012 11:12 pm

I think it was more likley that a 'Deal was Done'.

McAllister Towing of Montreal wanted Tugs in a hurry for a new contract, the Stranton was on the stocks and they bought her. She was towed to Canada in an incomplete state by the Harris Built Tug SALVAGE MONARCH (which they had also bought.) and completed at Sorel as the HELEN M Mc ALLISTER. She is still going strong as the Ocean Golf.

Hence the different Gross Tonnage.

Then another STRANTON was completed for Hartlepool. A bit late but no doubt a deal was arranged.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Return to Hartlepool Tugs and Port Craft