STAINSBY

STAINSBY

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:09 am

STAINSBY.jpg
STAINSBY arriving in Hartlepool this morning.

MMSI: 232029984
Call Sign: MICO6
Flag: United Kingdom (GB)
Vessel Type: Pilot Vessel
Length Overall x Breadth Extreme: 16 x 4 m

See also: http://www.northeastmaritime.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=28277
Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Re: STAINSBY

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:12 pm

STAINSBY.jpg
STAINSBY sailing down the channel and about to leave port.
Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:53 pm

Named after the disappeared village of Stainsby between Acklam, Middlesbrough and Thornaby the main site can still be seen by the undulations in the field which as far as I am aware has never been ploughed due to its historical interest, when Tony Robinson was at St Hilda's in Hartlepool doing 'Time Team' I did try to get him interested in doing a dig at Stainsby but we ended up talking about cars as I had my BMW M3 parked nearby.
On the other hand the vessel could have been named after "Stainsby" girls made famous by Chris Rhea :D
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:54 am

Always good to learn some local history, I can see it now on Google Earth, south of the Equestrian Centre.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/ ... ry/1016352
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:02 am

I am fairly sure that the Crosthwaite Family owned Stainsby Hall before the Second World War, it was then taken over by the RAF as the Officers Mess for the nearby famous Thornaby Airfield where they invented the first piece of air dropped survival pack for downed Airmen called the "Thornaby Bag". It was aircraft from Thornaby that located the German "Altmark" to enable the famous rescue of Merchant Navy Crews by the RN in Norway. The first Squadron to be issued with the Airborne Lifeboat (A.B.1. Designed by Uffa Fox) was based at Thornaby Airfield.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:32 pm

"On the other hand the vessel could have been named after "Stainsby" girls made famous by Chris Rhea"
I think Chris was part of the Rea family ... ice creams and a nice cafe on the Stray ... rather than a large flightless bird :D :D
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:07 pm

In the days when music and being a member of a group Chris Rhea was well known to me, his Parents ran the Cafe opposite Albert Park in Middlesbrough and as you write part of the Italian Ice Cream Dynasty in the Teesside area.
Stainsby Girls is about the crumpet from Stainsby Girls School which backs on to the ancient village of Stainsby which we have discussed on another forum. Again if I remember correctly Chris married a Stainsby Girl.
Hornbeam

Postby teesships » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Hornbeam Ron

Just to reinforce what George has already said it is REA, not Rhea.

Yes, ice-cream shops all over Middlesbrough and the surrounding area when I was young!! Rea's Ices were famous throughout the area, despite their Italian heritage in what were still fairly close post-war years.

Thel then two separate Stainsby schools were formed, I think, around 1953.

Ron M
teesships

Postby northeast » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:14 am

I didn't realise it was a Teesside operation ... on Redcar seafront we had Rea and Pacitto selling ice cream, and am I right in saying that Rea had the cafe on the Stray opposite Zetland Park?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Rea
Must admit we usually went to Pacitto's :)
northeast
Site Admin

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:15 am

I remember, years ago, talking to a former footballer at Darlington Football Club when I was asking him about music. He said one of his favourite songs was "Sainsbury's Girls" by Chris Rea! :lol:
Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Next

Return to Hartlepool Tugs and Port Craft