WINGFIELD CASTLE

Re: WINGFIELD CASTLE

Postby Dennis Maccoy » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:47 pm

Wingfield Castle in service, 7 August 1971.
Wingfield Castle, 5392018, 7 August 1971_2_1.jpg
Regards, Dennis.
Dennis Maccoy

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:16 pm

Further to my previous comment and the comment made by Patrick in regards to missing Paddle Boards, some may wonder why (or some may not) wonder why the Paddles are made of Wood and not Steel. The reason? Wooden Paddle Boards are the "Fuse" between the Paddles and possible damage to the Main Engine if the Paddles hit something hard, there were no Slipping/ Automatic Clutches fitted to the Drive Shafts Thank God. :roll: In my previous employment I had experience of so called 'Automatic' Clutches between Cruise and High Speed Turbines, eventually after many hours of head scratching by those in the Development Department the so called 'Auto' became 'Hand' matic and the Turbines were locked together. Napier built some brilliant 'Blue Sky' thinking Petrol and Diesel Engines but their so called "Automatic" Clutches were rubbish.
In the previous photograph the Skipper, Chief E and the Firemen need to keep an eye on the 'Smoke Chart' hung up in the Stokehold otherwise they could all end up in Court with a serious Fine. :oops:
Hornbeam

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:13 pm

PSS-WINGFIELD-CASTLE.jpg
One from the archives here - taken on December 30th, 2012.
Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Postby Whickham » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:28 am

Long awaited repairs happening soon. See: https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/wingfield-castle
Dave
Whickham

Previous

Return to Shipbuilding at Hartlepool