Edward Withy & Co

Re: Edward Withy & Co

Postby northeast » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:25 am

From the description of her as a long quarter-deck steamer, the general design would be similar to the slightly larger ANNANDALE from the same builder in the previous year, photo here

http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/view.ph ... =ANNANDALE

Re her loss, the Master is always in charge of his vessel, the buck stops there!
Cheers, George
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Roraima » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:35 pm

Thank you George for the information. It seems reasonable to assume that the Roraima looked very similar to the Annandale. Can you suggest where I might obtain a copy of the image displayed in the Annandale information?
Roraima

Postby northeast » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:10 pm

Sorry I have it only as a scan as shown on the website.
Cheers, George
northeast
Site Admin

Postby CLYDEBRAE » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:35 pm

Both the Annandale, described at her launch as principally built for the Mediterranean and Eastern trades, and the Roraima, which spent most of her life criss-crossing the Atlantic, were not only both built by Edward Withy, but also for the same owners, Steel, Young and Co. of Hartlepool and London. The descriptions of both suggest they are similar, as George states.

It would seem Captain George Picot commanded the Roraima from delivery until early February 1880 when Captain John Trattles took over. Whilst her regular run was to and from London, Dartmouth and Demerara she occasionally called elsewhere including Cardiff, Hartlepool, the Tyne and Uddevalla, with occasional forays North of Demerara including Barbados and New York in her first couple of years trading.

Without any additional calls her round voyage time was about 2 months. She departed London on 23rd December 1880, briefly stopping at Dartmouth on 25th December to pick up mail and passengers. She arrived Demerara 13th January and stopped off at Barbados on 20th January before departing for New York.

She stranded off Shark River Inlet, New Jersey on 1st February, as stated on Roraima's website. Master and crew elected to remain on board although a life saving team attended and were able to contact the ship. Press reports doubted she could be saved, but, having refloated, she entered New York on 8th February. Her initial schedule had anticipated loading back in London with ets 16th February, but her stranding resulted in final departure New York on 3rd March with arrival London on 22nd March.

Although Captain John Trattles was censured at the court hearing at the British Consulate in New York, no disciplinary action was taken. Equally the Roraima's owners retained faith in their Master and he remained in command for at least the next 2 round voyages.
CLYDEBRAE

Postby Roraima » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:44 am

Somewhere in my trolling of the internet, I discovered an art print I could purchase of the Roraima aground off the coast of New Jersey. The description of the print stated that it was based on a wood engraving. I was curious as to who would make such an engraving and for what purpose. I contacted the company selling the print and they had a research department. Upon contacting them, I learned that the image originally appeared in a news weekly publication in the United States called "Harper's Weekly" in the 9th February, 1881 issue. I located a company in the US that sells issues of old periodicals and was able to purchase an original edition in good condition. There was a short article describing the grounding in which it was revealed that the Roraima remained grounded long enough for the Harper's artist to complete his work. Accompanying the article is a half page illustration based on the engraving. From that, enough of the Roraima is visible to see that she very closely resembles the picture of the Annandale. Does anyone know of a model builder that could make a model for me based on the pictures I have and dimensions listed in the Edward Withy information?
Roraima

Postby shipbroker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:58 am

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... /C11712623

Would this be the article to which you refer?? This gives the whole crew listing.

geoff
shipbroker

Postby shipbroker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 am

Captain Trattles was from Staithes... owned your house....see why so interested.

There were at least two ships of same name, one was a Quebec registered vessel which perished off St.Pierre,Martinique. Hope you got the right picture!

There is a Brazilian vessel of same name still at sea too.

geoff
shipbroker

Postby Roraima » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:43 pm

I am fairly certain that I have the right Roraima. I found an image online of a model of the Roraima that sank in Martinique as a result of a volcanic eruption. When I first say the picture of the model, I was excited at the possibility of getting another model, only to discover that it was a different ship. Thanks for your post.
Roraima

Postby shipbroker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:22 pm

Have been in conversation with John Knight regarding the vessel and his numerous conversations with you.....have asked friends if anyone interested in model making....will report back if anyone bites!

geoff
shipbroker

Previous

Return to Shipbuilding at Hartlepool