Gray Goose

Gray Goose

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:44 pm

Wondering if any member has a photograph of "Gray Goose" one of William Grays workboats ex British Power Boats built MTB/MGB/ ASR Hull Type. Thank You.
Hornbeam

Re: Gray Goose

Postby Whickham » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:13 pm

Dave
Whickham

Postby buggins » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:55 pm

Hornbeam`s craft would not have a been a steel built SGB - Tyne records are incorrect in that the SGBs were not refitted as minelayers rarher they were used as high speed minesweepers in the hope that they would trigger influence mines and be gone before the mine went off.
buggins

Postby Whickham » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:24 pm

Thank you buggins. Now corrected.
Dave
Whickham

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:56 pm

Thank You for your replies and the information given however Buggins is correct, the Gray Goose had a Double Diagonal Wooden Hull similar in profile to the Hulls of the Boats in that wonderful film "The Sea shall not Have them", unfortunately the Deckhouse had been removed and replaced with what was basically a box shaped structure which does not help in determining what her War Role was MGB/MTB/ASR.
Her Post War role for Grays was a self propelled Welding Unit, she was certainly around in the 1950's as I remember her well in my time at the TCC, in a way it was a bit sad to see as her superb Hull shape which was built for speed just chugging along the River Tees.
Hornbeam

Steam Turbine powered Gun Boats

Postby Hornbeam » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:58 am

You can see where the Ford Class design came from barring for the power plants, one of these vessels Number 6? is still around as a Houseboat I believe and if I remember correctly her C.O. being the well known Peter Scott at one time?
Hornbeam

Re: Gray Goose + Gray Gull

Postby davidships » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:15 am

Have query from researcher on military small craft about William Gray's launch GRAY GULL, seen in this photo (perhaps from a Gray company brochure?). In order to narrow down to the specific type built by British Power Boat, he is asking whether any photos showing the whole boat are known. From the description of GRAY GOOSE above this seems to be a similar conversion (or the same vessel renamed).

Anything on GRAY BIRD or GRAY DOVE?

David

Gray Dove, Gray Bird and Gray Gull.jpg
davidships

Return to Shipbuilding at Hartlepool