GRILLE (Hitler's yacht)

Shipping of the Hartlepools

GRILLE (Hitler's yacht)

Postby teesships » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:32 am

News item: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-37043153

I'll have to look back in old TEES PACKETS as I think we did something on her quite a few years ago now.

Ron
teesships

Re: GRILLE (Hitler's yacht)

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:07 pm

Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Postby northeast » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:11 am

My good friend Brian Watson has compiled an extensive article about GRILLE including her stay at Hartlepool and brief call at Hull.
It can be found here:
https://www.benjidog.co.uk/MiscShips/Grille.php
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:39 am

I spent a fair bit of time and money looking at the background of both the Grille and her No1 Motorboat which is the subject of the article, most of my information came from the Richardson's who were the first British civilian Owners of the Motorboat in question.
My understanding was that the Grille was towed to Hartlepool for refurbishment to her Engines by Richardson Westgarth as they had been sabotaged by her Crew which reminds me of HMS Deepwater ex W.H. (a former German Navy Vessel) whose
German scratch Crew tried to do the same when on passage to GB under RN Supervision but were caught in the act and put under Armed Guard to be sent to Detention Centres as they were not classed as POW's as the War had ended. She was laid alongside "Vernon" when I was there.
Whilst at Hartlepool as indicated " Tours" of her took place including some which were chaperoned by the great Alva Lidel but unfortunately it was found that the vessel weighed a lot lighter after the tours than she did when the tours started ;)
No1 Motorboat was the only the one of the boats available to be used by Hitler and was suitably fitted out.
When "Tot" Richardson acquired her( in exchange for a car) the engine had also been sabotaged by the Germans this was exchanged for a Bus/Coach engine acquired from his business 'Stock.' He renamed the Motorboat "Grillet" and had her for many years.
Hearing that she was last heard of in the Malta/ Gozo area I arranged a family holiday in that area and whilst the girls did the shop till you drop expeditions I sped off in a Hire Car looking for the boat in both areas, unfortunately I couldn't find her.
Can anybody tell me please if she is still afloat?
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:14 pm

Due to the previous messages my interest in the "Grillet" has been reawakened and I have renewed contact with a chap who is involved with the Canal Trust, he has told me that based on the information I have given to him he believes the "Grillet" is still around however the information and her whereabouts is held with the Canal Licences Authority and comes under the Official Secrets Act ;) A.K.A. Data Protection Act and therefore is not available, anybody floating around on a Canal Boat on this Site who could look out for her could be of great help if they happened to come across her. My car is fired up and ready to go :D
Hornbeam

Return to Hartlepool