South Gare Road

Ports, shipping and comments related to the VERA series

South Gare Road

Postby Hornbeam » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:15 am

There is of course a connection with Vera as it a popular filming area for the excellent series ;)
Things seem to be hotting up in regards to the future ownership of this road with Mr Houchen seemingly desperate to gain ownership of and is taking the matter to the High Court in London to secure it off the Port Authority who are disputing his claim.
If the road had run through the centre of the proposed new "Teesworks" Site I could understand his concern but it does not as it runs on the periphery of the development.
The road has always been the property of the local Port Authority as far as I am aware and the Public have had access to it barring for a mandatory one day closure in regards to proving ownership plus the odd occasional day for other reasons.
I applaud the "Teesworks" development but I am concerned that access for the public to the South Gare will be made difficult for those of us that do not have property down the South Gare as Mayor Houchen has in the past introduced a "Pass Sustem" on other developments where you have to sign in and out.
I hope the claim is rejected and we will continue to be able to enjoy the South Gare without interference.
Hornbeam

Re: South Gare Road

Postby teesships » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:59 pm

Ron,

I totally agree with what you say except to point out that the first part of the road does have signs up showing it to be (in the past) owned by British Steel. The PD ports section began about halfway along the roadway.
I know the Port Authority say they will be producing historic documentation to fight this claim and I fully expect it to show and prove that the old TCC developed the South Gare and built the lighthouse, I think that was back in the 1880s, long before Dorman Long initially built the steelworks around 1906. I imagine it would be around then that TCC for whatever historic reason ceded part of the road to them, but I would expect maintaining right of access for their own employees - lighthouse keepers, Breakwaters labouring gang, etc. It is a private roadway, that right maintained through statutory one-day closure each year, although the general public has enjoyed unhindered access for many years. Long may that continue!

Ron M
teesships

Postby Patrick Hill » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:06 pm

I'd like to get up there more often but the sight of many motorhomes parked up and even camping on the elevated mound put's me off a bit.
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:40 am

Thank You both for your replies, taking Patrick first, I agree meeting a Motorhome head on on the single lane road can be a bit daunting as you know that no matter how far you are along the road once a Motorhome appears on the road it has to be you that has to back up to allow the Motorhome to make progress.
I must admit a bit of jealousy in regard to Motorhome Owners, as an "Old Gadgy" being in my 80's at least they know where the nearest Toilet is :cry:
Ron, let us hope that the historic documents win the day and the land that was ceded to Dorman Long was on a Lend Lease basis and the TCC have always been the Landlords. Subject to access being allowed to the Maintenance Workers and General Public? which as you say has being going on for many many years barring for Wartime of course.
I have the awful feeling that the Teeswork Legal Team will declare that the new developments all depends on their ownership of this road to sway the argument.
Last edited by Hornbeam on Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:45 am

"at least they know where the nearest Toilet is" ... behind the second bush past the wall :oops:
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:54 am

northeast wrote:"at least they know where the nearest Toilet is" ... behind the second bush past the wall :oops:

O no no NE for reasons I will not go into caught urinating in a Publc Place would be highly embarrassing for me :oops:
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Wed May 24, 2023 9:26 am

“ The Battle for the South Gare Road” seems to be hotting up according to my paper ( which used to be called the Evening Gazette which then turned into the Gazette and is now delivered at 8-30 in the morning).
The Teesside Valley Mayor Mr Houchen has started the mud throwing at PD Ports accusing them of “concerning and disappointing” conduct and of course he is implying that the South side of the new development is at risk from potential Developers if they do not get ownership of the road.
For those of us who like a trip to South Gare enjoy it while you can because I know from experience of how the Mayor works that if he takes ownership of the road “Restrictions” will be put on place which may affect those of us that enjoy the area and need transport along “the long and narrow winding road” to get to the Lighthouse. You will still be able to walk there along the beach unless he wants to take over that as well.
Hornbeam

Postby teesships » Wed May 24, 2023 9:47 am

.... and the Gazette article Ron2 refers to:
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees ... r-26972732

Ron M
teesships

Postby northeast » Wed May 24, 2023 12:00 pm

Someone might make money from a 'Beach Buggy' taking folk from Majuba to the Gare :)
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Wed May 24, 2023 4:12 pm

If I remember correctly NE transports of delight were banned off the beach after an accident with a child who was knocked over by a diesel engined miniature Train which operated on said beach.
Horse powered transport may be ok, a couple of magnificent Cleveland Bays would do nicely ;)
Hornbeam

Next

Return to Vera's file