GREATFORD

Re: GREATFORD

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:03 am

G.M. Buggins it looks like we will have to agree to disagree when it comes to the Ford Class and their eventual propulsion if the Deltics had been available at the time of their build. All I will say is that the early Tons built around the same time also did not get the Deltic's due to the delay and some Tons like the Ford Class lay in Reserve for many years before the Tons had retro fitted Deltics.
In regards to the P2000 you are correct in what you write regarding their use in the training role, however their War Role was in the Defence of Ports and Anchorages and would be manned by mainly RNR (the RNXS being non combatant manning PHQ's on 'X' terms) the engines would have been uprated/changed. The rengineering is down I suspect to the availability of spares especially the first two built which had Rolls Royce Diesels where R.R. no longer make recip spares. You wouldn't go to the expense of building a reinforced Hull to do 40knts if they were only going to tootle around surely and have the facility to have a Gun fitted if they were built just for training.
In regards to Aid it was my understanding that both the Tons and the Hams were built certainly at first within the Aid programme not only for GB (as we were skint) but many other Countries on this side of the pond. Stay Safe.
Last edited by Hornbeam on Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:25 pm

Buggins, sorry about the earlier version of my previous, predictive texting caught me out, now altered from Bugging to Buggins. Along with the change to reinforced Hull.
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:45 am

IMG_6572.PNG
At the time of the last posting I couldn't find why the Deltics were not fitted to the Ford Class or the early Ton's, attached is the reason why, the explanation comes from a well known chap who was in the RN at the time I believe and serving on the small craft.
Hornbeam

Postby buggins » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:35 pm

Deltics were not fitted to the initial build of Tons as they were not available, so the Mirrlees was used as an interim measure. The first Ton as built with the Deltic was Highburton (the 47th in the programme) launched by Thornycroft on 2nd July 1954 and the second - Upton launched 15th March 1956. Mirrlees were fitted to many new builds to the end of the programme however as ships came up for refit before Highburton was launched they tended to be fitted with Deltics. Hope this is of interest.
buggins

Previous

Return to Hartlepool Reserve Fleet