GREATFORD

Re: GREATFORD

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:43 am

The memory does play tricks at least mine apparently does :roll: but for those of us that had the opportunity to visit the Reserve Fleet does anybody remember any MTB/ MGB type craft moored there, never seen them listed so it could be me but I seem to remember some of these vessel's were moored away from the main Fleet in the Dock on the left hand side of the main road now going down to the Marina, The Dock was filled in later and then used as a large car park for imported cars.
Hornbeam

Postby magoonigal » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:04 pm

A quick "google" lists a Foden Diesel on the Centre shaft and Davey Paxman's on the Outer giving a speed of 18 knots.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:44 am

magoonigal wrote:A quick "google" lists a Foden Diesel on the Centre shaft and Davey Paxman's on the Outer giving a speed of 18 knots.

G.M. To You, they did indeed have Davy Paxman's fitted on the main shafts but they were designed to have Deltics fitted hence they were the first Vessels in the R.N. to have a seperate soundproof Engineroom Control Booth like the 'Tons' which had temporary Mirrlees fitted and were retrofitted with the Deltics. Can't rememember now what the problem was with the Deltics.
Just reminded me about the prototype Deltic trains of which I believe there were two both fitted with the ex marine version of the Deltic engine ex 'Tons?' In later years, cartridge starters. R.N. Engineers taught B.R. Fitters the workings of what in it's day an amazing engine but ear protectors were essential when they were running.
Hornbeam

Postby teesships » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:48 am

Is my memory correct that back in the late 1950s, early 1960s, all of those early diesel trains were called Deltics (Deltecs) - so this presumably where that came from (if I'm correct?)

Ron M
teesships

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:50 am

teesships wrote:Is my memory correct that back in the late 1950s, early 1960s, all of those early diesel trains were called Deltics (Deltecs) - so this presumably where that came from (if I'm correct?)

Ron M

I am taking a guess here but I suspect that you like me and many others of our age were Steam fans with our steam editions of Ian Allen books, barring for the mighty Deltics Class 55? when diesels came along I lost interest, I understand that B.R. also used the 9 cylinder version of the Deltic engine in another Class so you may well be right.
When HMS Kellington was being scrapped I phoned a chap at the Museum at Shildon to give him a 'heads up' in regards to possibly persuading ABLE to let him have one of her main engines, never heard anymore, don't know if the Museum ever managed to get hold of one as it would be a shame if they went for scrap. Ron@2
Hornbeam

Postby magoonigal » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:14 am

Was quite surprised to find they had a Foden engine on the centre. Sounds like an air of despiration on the part of RN to get them to sea.

Thanks for all the extra information.
magoonigal

Postby Hornbeam » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:33 am

magoonigal wrote:Was quite surprised to find they had a Foden engine on the centre. Sounds like an air of despiration on the part of RN to get them to sea.

G.M. To You, you may or not be aware? that the centre engine on the 'Ford Class' was just a Loiter engine bearing in mind the Ford's anti Submarine/anti Frogman Role, at that time Foden's were a firm favourite with the R.N. and were fitted to a number of vessel's either as Gennies like the Ton Class or MFV's including the MFV's that were originally fitted with petrol Main engines. It's all about reducing the spares holding after the War and I suppose and there would be plenty of surplus engines about as Foden's like other suppliers of equipment had a Contract to make a number of engines even when the War was over. The other factor of course is that a number of military vessel's were built under the American Aid Plan at that time especially Minesweepers and vessel's like the 'Ford' Class that were used to keep Ports and Anchorages clear especially on the East Coast ( these were given a Class designation in order of importance) to be able to ship the vast amount of equipment stored in G.B. to Europe in the event of the Russians moving West. The Tees was a Class A Port, hence the reason for keeping the heavy lift Floating Crane. Ron@2.
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:33 pm

Further to the above, the modern equivalent that would take up the role is the 'Archer' Class if you look at Wiki you will see that they also are not at their full potential, the Hulls are built to do 45kts however the engines either require a change or a tune up, fortunately the 'soft patch' is under the Quarter Deck for easy removal as the engines are right Aft on angle gearboxes.
Hornbeam

Postby magoonigal » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:55 am

magoonigal

Postby buggins » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:24 pm

A few bits - as far as I am aware there was no intention to fit Deltics in the Ford class, they were not intended to be fast craft tho` they did look the part. 5 including Greatford were shipped out to Singapore to act as patrol craft during the Confrontation with Indonesia, after which they were disposed of locally. Deltics were however fitted in the Dark class of Fast Patrol Boats. Fodens were fitted in the Ton class minesweepers converted to minehunters in addition to the Deltics to power the active rudders used for slow speed hunting. The P2000 Archer class were brought into service as coastal training craft, including the RNXS vessels, so high speed not required and were fitted with Foden diesels (reputedly army tank engines) with the last 2 of the class having MTU units. They have not long all completed a reengining with Caterpillar diesels. Caterpillars have also replaced Deltics in a few recently refitted Hunt class minesweepers.

The only craft built in the UK under the US mutual aid arrangements were Ham class inshore minsweepers which were handed over to France on completion.
buggins

PreviousNext

Return to Hartlepool Reserve Fleet