The Quay, North Shields (2)

The Quay, North Shields (2)

Postby tynebuoy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:17 am

Card photo undated. A strange looking couple of vessels to the left of the tugs.
The Quay, North Shields 92).jpg

Vessels.jpg
tynebuoy

Re: The Quay, North Shields (2)

Postby teesships » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:03 pm

Those strange vessels reminded me of a photo from Rivoldini Ron I showed on TEESSHIPS back in 2004:
Floatingkettle.jpg
I posed the question: Ron's title of "floating kettle" seems apt but he can tell me nothing about this strange craft. So, who can, please?

And, yes, relevant info did arrive, as follows: Ron! the floating kettle, the photograph is taken on the River Tyne approx - wait for it! - on the 15th Sept. 1960. I say approx that date because I have a photograph of the same vessel with that date on the reverse. It is the vessel alright - it's even got the same two fellows onboard! So I said the date was approx but I bet it's not far away. It's even got the same two pumps in the hold. As to the name it's the "Ill try" {or should that be I'll Try? - Ron} it's a clinker built Tyne Wherry Oak planking on oak joggled frames with a counter stern and was built in 1863. It has what was known as a haystack boiler. There were a number of these screw wherries as they were known on the Tyne as well as the more numerous dumb wherries, the Elswick No 2 being the last one, it's now in the Beamish museum ( not on display) Other screw wherries were Kimberley 1900, one of Cookson's. Thomas & Alice, Sovereign, and the Alice.
The boat was a "water boat" taking fresh water to the ships in the river Tyne.
I hope this is a help. regards Richard Walton.

This "floating kettle" was thereby still in service approaching 100 years of age. While not identical to those in Kevin's photo they all seem fairly similar in concept.

Who can tell us more??

Ron
teesships

Postby northeast » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:39 am

There are 3 ILL TRY's in CLIP site but none to match this date.
Some research into Frazer & Co. might help?
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Whickham » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 pm

Looks as though the I'LL TRY was built at Aberdeen.

See: http://www.aberdeenships.com/single.asp ... dex=101796

No mention of additional kettle boiler.
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:54 am

I'm not sure that the hull form would match that of a sailing brig that was in normal commercial service, and she is still in the 'sailing' section of the MNL up to her removal from 1917. Could she have later been altered so much as well as such an ancient boiler post-1917?
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Whickham » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:27 am

Well she does look rather small for a brig that traded to the Baltic, but it looks as though she had lost her masts by 1896 when she was described as "jury rigged" in MNL. But built in the right year, right name, right place and owned by a wherry company. Hmmmm.
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:51 am

It's wherry difficult to come to a conclusion on her, the jury is out!
northeast
Site Admin

Return to Tyne River Views