Dunston Staiths

Dunston Staiths

Postby Keelman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:20 pm

Battersea.jpg
Some twenty odd years after the staiths were closed to the public a small reopening event took place today. Restoration work by Tyne and Wear Building Preservation Trust, backed by the Heritage Lottery Fund and Gateshead Council means the public can once again enjoy the extensive view of the river from a section of the upper deck.
I understand that the Friends Of Dunston Staiths group will run open days on Wednesdays and one day at weekends beginning this Easter and running until the Autumn.

This westward looking view taken in June 1966 from a standpoint now accessible to the public has of course of changed dramatically since then. Features long gone are the buildings of the C.W.S. Soap Works and the adjacent C.W.S. Flour Mill with its jetty (just beyond the staiths). Between the flour mill and the six tall chimneys of Dunston Electricity Generating Station lies the ship breaking yard of Clayton Davies. The cooling towers of Stella Gill Generating Station are visible in the far right background.
The ships in view are actually laid up as at this time a national strike of seamen was taking place. BATTERSEA has her hatch covers firmly in place and there is no obvious activity about the place.
Stephenson Clarkes BRAMBER is moored alongside another of that company's vessels, I can't identify the name but I think I can make out COW--
COWES perhaps?
Keelman

Re: Dunston Staiths

Postby Whickham » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:53 pm

COWDRAY maybe?
Dave
Whickham

Return to Tyne River Views