Newcastle quayside

Newcastle quayside

Postby Keelman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:14 am

These days anyone standing in this spot on the quayside could take a few paces to the left and seat themselves outside the Pitcher & Piano Bar Restaraunt and lift a glass of their favourite tipple to their lips.
In this 1968 view lifting of a different nature is apparent as rolls of newsprint from Scandinavia are transferred to a British Road Services lorry. As a low cost paper made from wood pulp newsprint is chiefly used for printing newspapers and was regularly handled here.
The quayside was a busy place at times as a wide variety of cargoes were loaded or discharged along the quay. Despite the potential dangers inherent in such operations its hard to believe that the general public had access to the quay from the adjoining public road. The gentleman strolling through the activity on this day appears unconcerned about the heavy roll swinging over his head as he makes his way around the lorry and gangway obstructing the quay.
I clearly remember one occasion when I was leaning on my bike engrossed in the goings on around me when I became aware of an irate voice shouting at me. I don't know how long the crane driver up in his cab had been trying to attract my attention but when his moving crane came within a few feet of my rear wheel I got the message and made a hasty retreat from my position straddling his tracks. Happy days!
Newcastle Quay paper.jpg
Keelman

Re: Newcastle quayside

Postby northeast » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:46 am

Nice memory, I think the 'gent strolling through' is likely to be a docker with full head protection safety issue i.e. a flat cap.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby magoonigal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Should have looked at this one first!

I used to wander along that same Quay every lunch time from about 1962 to 1967 when I was at school in Newcastle.

Span sandwich and mug of tea at the Cafe next to the Baltic Tavern...
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:29 am

Just watched the 'King Seaways' docking at Ijmuiden this morning not a soul on Deck, normally the Decks are quite crowded watching this interesting manoeuvre backing her into the Dock opposite the former 'S'/'E' Boat Bunkers. I wonder what the freight rates are? relying on Passenger rates must be a loss situation.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:57 pm

No use going for a weekend break if it costs you 14 days isolation on top!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:32 pm

G.A. N.E. what both ways? :o The lad couldn't even take off from Teesside as he not only needed the usual Boarding Pass but a Landing Pass for Singapore which his office failed to arrange, after a delay he eventually got to Singapore and was picked up by taxi and then straight into his room in a Hotel and told to stay in his room for two weeks before he could board his ship so long as he tested negative. Now at sea possibly for a lot longer than he is expecting the way things are going.
How is it that the Swiss are Neutral but show Positive on their Flag?
Hornbeam

Postby magoonigal » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:18 am

Thats a very interesting Question. :lol: :lol:
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Return to Tyne River Views