Looking Good

Enquiries about using the forum

Looking Good

Postby wreckmaster » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi George

Looks like every thing is working.
I will upload the attachments when we get them .

Best of luck with it .

Mick
wreckmaster

Re: Looking Good

Postby northeast » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Great stuff Mick.
In case anyone is confused, Mick (Wreckmaster) has been logging in as me (Northeast) in order to get us installed on this site and do various mods.
Despite assurances from Forumatic that a forum could always be exported into a new site, it has been very problematical and without Mick's expertise we would not have been able to get this far, in fact would have had to restart with an empty forum and gather members again.

So on behalf of all members, a BIG THANK YOU to Mick!

We seem unlikely to get out photos, that's the downside, but should be able to reinsert them into the old messages in here.
This would be very useful for those old maps, the Albert Weller series etc if members can spare the time to go over them again.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby teesships » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:23 pm

Just to say that although we can access the historic posts on the new site it seems it is necessary to actually log-in again in order to edit previous postings to, for instance, reinstate photos (Which I've just done for MORAY FIRTH IV)

Ron
teesships

Postby northeast » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:27 pm

Evening Ron, just as before you need to log in to do anything .... tick the box to allow a cookie to remember you for automatic log-in next time.
I have been reinstating some Austin photos, you need to delete the old file ref then browse and re-add, it will not show up as a new post in the list if it's just an edit.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby teesships » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Should keep some of us busy over Christmas!!!!!!

Ron
teesships

Postby northeast » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:43 pm

Well yes, it's a blooming nuisance of course and sorry it turned out this way, broken promises from third parties!
Nothing can ever be certain re site hosting, this one is now with Vidahost who are well established.
Hoping that some of the good historical material can be resurrected .... current shipping will always come round again, I guess.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby wreckmaster » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:12 pm

I think there is still a good chance of retrieving the images don't give up yet.
wreckmaster

Postby Whickham » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:25 am

Well done Mick and George. Great shame about the photos, but Mick may yet come up with a solution. At least the photos aren't lost and they can be transferred over time. A bit of a backward step for the Forum, but now on a much better base for moving forward. Well done chaps.
Dave
Whickham

Postby Dennis Maccoy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:33 am

Quick work starting the recovery gentlemen - well done! I've just tried the editing facility to replace pictures of Adelfotis ll. It worked fine but I seem to have placed the replacement pictures in reverse order. It also seems that our new site takes somewhat longer to load each page than was previously the case - but I suppose that could just be my PC - full of irrelevant info and showing signs of age - just like the operator! Keep up the good work.
Regards, Dennis.
Dennis Maccoy

Postby northeast » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks Dennis. I found the loading speed varied quite a lot yesterday, it could be just as the site address propagates round the system.
If replacing photos, use the 'delete' for images that should be there, then add the new ones from fresh.

I also got in easily yesterday, but today it kept bouncing me back to my 123-Reg site where the domain name is held, despite it being redirected from there to the Vidahost servers. Had to come in just now via a circuitous way so hoping OK next time round!
northeast
Site Admin

Next

Return to General User Information