Passage to Wisbech

Enquiries about using the forum

Passage to Wisbech

Postby simonships » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:56 pm

Apologies if its old news but just found this on Youtube after years of searching.

I understood it was either lost or for some reason the BEEB declined to release it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW0SxfR ... ture=share

40 minuites of decent viewing
simonships

Re: Passage to Wisbech

Postby northeast » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:28 am

That's really good footage, Simon, thanks for the link, will certainly pass it on.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby northeast » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:21 pm

Someone elsewhere asked where NORWAVE was in first minute of the film, is my answer correct?

"this looks to me like the Rotterdam berth in Beneluxhaven with oil tanks in background and skipper is calling Maas Pilot, CARRICK was under that name 1980-1988 so that would make it unusual as by then NORWAVE was on the Zeebrugge run having been replaced on Rotterdam by NORLAND / NORSTAR from 1974 .... but of course NORLAND went down to the Falklands so maybe this was a relief for NORWAVE to cover Rotterdam in her absence."
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Patrick Hill » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:20 am

Looks like the Belgian flag at the mast head George so more likely Zeebrugge. Also, as Beneluxhaven is a dead end where would Carrick be coming from?
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Postby northeast » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:20 am

Ah, good point Patrick. I went into Zeebrugge on the old ships only when they docked inside the lock (late 1970's) so not familiar with the background after they moved out into the outer port. I suppose 'Maas Pilot' served both ports.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Patrick Hill » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:52 am

Found a photo in "North Sea Ferries - Ships of the Night" which shows Norwave at the Prins Filipsdok berth, this appears to have been just inside from the lock entrance ( https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.32427 ... 3?hl=en-GB ) - this shows a tank farm beyond as in the film footage. This would then appear to show Carrick entering the canal system at Zeebrugge.

I'd also suggest that the editing of the film may be why the sound overlay was him calling Maas central :)
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Postby northeast » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Thanks Patrick, yes they berthed on north side of the PFD just round the corner from the bridge cut. I remember how the ferry used to cut Zeebrugge in two as it passed slowly through 2 roads and 1 railway track!
As they berthed bow first at Hull that would match her bow being out in Zeebrugge.
northeast
Site Admin

Return to General User Information