Tyne photography

Enquiries about using the forum

Tyne photography

Postby Patrick Hill » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:56 pm

We're toying with the idea of heading up to the Tyne mid March for a break - looking at staying at Premier Inn at South Shields or the Little Haven hotel. I assume you can get the shipping moving in/out near the river entrance ok (never been on the Tyne on the land side except much further up where the ships no longer venture :) ) ? Also what are the the timings for the bigger movements, how much either side of HW?

Cheers

Patrick
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Re: Tyne photography

Postby northeast » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Patrick, I stayed at that Prem Inn last year it's OK but I think next time I would enquire at the Little Haven as it's spot-on for photos from south side as ships pass between the piers and the old LH at North Shields. And easy to pop across to the old Custom House quay for a look upriver. For a cruise ship sailing 6pm I went across on the ferry and took photos from the ferry landing stage there.
Upriver you can still get to opposite the big crane at Walker if anything's there. Shipping at the Hebburn drydock and quay is very obscured from the landward side.
Will leave Dave to advise re timings, big gaps between anything happening though!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Humbersmith1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:58 am

Hello Patrick,

I was up there last week for work. The Gryone Lighthouse is as good a spot as you will find for photography anywhere. The only problem is the lack of activity. You will do well to get four movements in a day and that includes the DFDS ferry. The movement list is helpful but "firm" arrivals/sailings are often last minute. You can get long range shots of vessels on the bulk terminal first thing from the Custom House at South Shields. There is a car park west of the Tyne Tunnel off the B1297 where you can get anything moving upriver including the tugs.

In between activity Blyth is worth a visit.

Cheers
Simon
Amaranth~passingSouthShields~250117q.JPG
Humbersmith1

Postby Whickham » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:17 am

I would endorse all of Simon's comments and stress that the river is VERY quiet at the moment. Just checked the POT "Ships on Berth" today and there is nothing worth getting excited about unless you haven't seen the two small CITY car boats, the Tyne ferries, the river cruise boats or the tugs which must be woefully under employed.
I think Dennis mentioned that you can get slightly better views of Riverside Quay now that they have pulled down most of the Readhead's buildings, but not checked this myself.
Simon mentioned the car park next to the Tyne Tunnel, but you are looking for passing trade there. If there is anything up at Walker or Neptune there are good car parks opposite both.
Viewing points from the north bank are few and far between and the sun is a usually difficult. A&P has suffered from the North Sea oil problems so is very quiet. If there is anything alongside at Hebburn Bede Quay then it is just possible to get photos from the approach road to the old Davy Bank, although access to the river is now blocked off. Similarly long range shots can be got from the old approach road to the Wallsend ferry, between what was Swans and what was the Wallsend dry docks. Never managed to get photos of Riverside Quay or the Jarrow car terminal from the north, without a bit of trespassing, even assuming gates are open. The roads above Smiths Docks and the Fish Quay offer superb vantage points up and down the river, but nowt to see and watch the sun.
Dave
Whickham

Postby RichardP » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:53 pm

We have a YSE trip every year to the Tyne and go on the "Quay to Sea" cruise from Newcastle Quay to Tynemouth and back. It is supposed to operate on Sundays in March but the website is not yet taking bookings for 2017. At £12 for about 3 hours on the water, we think it is the best way to see the small number of ships on the river.

R.
RichardP

Postby Whickham » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:31 pm

Richard
As a member of YSE are you able to throw any light on this question: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21497
Dave
Whickham

Postby RichardP » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:51 pm

Yes, I can fix it. I have sent you an email.
RichardP

Postby Patrick Hill » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:04 pm

Thanks gents, think we'll try to book the Little Haven and if not the PI will suffice. Hopefully the weather will be better by the time we intend to go up, might even be able to do the river cruise by then :)

Edit - Little Haven river view room booked - only weather and ships now needed :) Fortunately most of what moves up there will probably be new to me :D
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Postby Whickham » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:33 am

Hi Richard, no email has arrived at this end.

EDIT: Email subsequently received, with thanks.
Dave
Whickham

Postby Patrick Hill » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:26 pm

Well keep your fingers crossed, heading up this Friday until Sunday - shipping list looks a little quiet, just hoping weather is good. Trip up via Middlesborough (Mrs wants to cross the transporter bridge again), Hartlepool, Seaham, through Sunderland and up to the hotel. Saturday loitering around the riverfront (while SWMBO goes walkies) then back home on Sunday. Was hoping to do the river cruise but it's either a) not running or b) already booked up.
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Next

Return to General User Information