Copyright

Enquiries about using the forum

Copyright

Postby Keelman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:58 pm

I have in my possession a small number of black and white photographic prints which may be of interest on this site. The images are obviously copies taken from older prints. I don't know the source of the original material.
What are the implications re copyright infringement if such pictures were posted on NEM.
Keelman

Re: Copyright

Postby Whickham » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:24 pm

Always a very contentious subject on these sort of sites. I think there would be a number of mitigating factors (as I understand it):

a) The prints/originals could well be more than 50 years old and therefore may be out of copyright

b) You are not claiming copyright

c) You are not attempting to make money out of them

d) I am sure the web site owner will be happy to remove the photos if there is a credible complaint.

e) George likes prison gruel
Dave
Whickham

Postby northeast » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:32 pm

Fully agree, except for (e), the parrot would need his millet as well :)

These older b&w's have been copied around the internet so much over recent years that they have indeed become detached from their origins so are in the 'copyright unknown' category and most sites (inc my former Riversea) have shown them on basis that Dave lists.
I was never challenged over showing them but would have happily withdrawn if any claim had been made, rather than cause a fuss .... although suspect that some who claim copyright would find it hard to substantiate same if challenged in return!
So please Keelman let's share these oldies and enjoy them as we do all older material (being older material ourselves :( )
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Keelman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:55 pm

Thanks for your comments gentlemen, they put my mind at rest!
One thing George, I'm a bit peeved at being thought of as 'older material'. I think 'ancient material' would be more fitting.
Keelman

Postby hartlepoolmonkey » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:07 pm

Stan Laundon
hartlepoolmonkey

Postby magoonigal » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:46 pm

Section 8 looks interesting.........as we are a reasearch forum.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Return to General User Information