looking for ships plans

Re: looking for ships plans

Postby Whickham » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Hello Tim

I held off replying just in case someone knew the location of the Laing plans. It looks like no one does.

Your brief is quite wide, between 1880 and 1900 Laings buit over 150 ships of all types and sizes, so I'm not sure what you hope to get from your search.

If you have tried Tyne and Wear Archives without success, then I am assuming that this will include Sunderland Museums. The National Maritime Museum holds a large collection but whether any are Laing's ships I do not know. Another possibility is the Mersey Maritime Museum who have a large collection, but I would guess that your ship would need to have a "Mersey angle" to warrant inclusion in their archive.

Other sources:

If you are just looking for outline plans eg general arrangements, then the Maritime Press of that era may have published something. The press would usually focus on "interesting" or "notable" ships and I do not know whether any Laing's ships of that era would fall into those categories.

This would be typical of what might be published: http://www.tynebuiltships.co.uk/A-Ships ... 3-1950.jpg

The above example is from Shipping World which would not have existed in the time period you are looking at, however The Engineer did and there may be others.

Finally, there is Lloyds Register. They would certainly hold plans for current vessels but I don't know what they did/do with their archive.

Hope fully others on the site may be able to add extra information.
Dave
Whickham

Return to Laing / Deptford