NAESS CRUSADER page 3

NAESS CRUSADER page 3

Postby fitter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:21 pm

9.JPG

Sea trials in June and all hell broke loose when a new ship, in calm water, began to show signs of fracture in the upper wing tanks. The Wilton Fijenoord dry dock was booked, but there was nothing for it, we just dropped anchor and spent about ten days ferrying compressors welders and workmen to and from from the shipyard to repair the cracks. If I remember rightly it was plate edge preparation that was blamed, but its 40 years ago and I was engine room not deck. The tug men would be well pleased. We were on time and a half twenty four hours a day and the delay plus the trial trip and drydocking gave rise to the ship being nicknamed "The Golden HInd" :P We might not have thought it half as funny if we knew what would befall the Derbyshire and its sisters.
Naess Crusader was renamed Nordic Crusader, Cast Fulmar, Maranicki, Mount Athos, Mount 1.
732 ship Nordic Chieftain was identical to this ship.
fitter

Re: NAESS CRUSADER page 3

Postby magoonigal » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:40 pm

I bet she was a Pig to bring alongside with no Bridge Wings..........
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby magoonigal » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:13 am

Well the rest of the welding cannot have been that bad cause she lasted 25 Years before being broken up.

It was the habit with Swans Vessels to take pictures at every stage and present the ship with a "Complete Build Album"

I've got some for the Derbyshire and her sisters. One of the prime causes of her loss was the strength of the forward hatch coupled with water getting into the forepeak. Never been a great fan of OBO's.
magoonigal

Postby fitter » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:45 am

Without wishing to open up a can of worms, I have Dave Ramwell and Tim Madges "A Ship Too Far" a critical and detailed account of the Derbyshire. I found it quite incredible. But there is a continuous stream of bulkers still being lost. Thompsons Iron Endeavour and Laings Melete are two that I had to do with that disappeared without warning, and hundreds more beside. Much has been written about these losses and I wouldn't want to start a discussion about it. But loss of ships and lives has always been a part of the reality of seafaring. I don't suppose any other commercial activity has suffered losses on the scale of shipping, even excluding including the many war losses. It seems to be accepted as an occupational hazard despite the vast amount of resources that have been ploughed into safety at sea.
fitter

Postby magoonigal » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:37 am

I think we all have to accept that the Power of the Sea should never be taken for granted and that even a well found and designed ship can be overwhelmed in seconds.
magoonigal

Return to Thompson JL / North Sands