NAESS CRUSADER page 1

NAESS CRUSADER page 1

Postby fitter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:19 pm

THOMPSON 731 SHIP 1972, Sister Nordic Chieftain, both B&W 980KFF8 engines, (Crusader, Burmiester &wain, Chieftain H&W).
161,798 dwt. OBO ships for Anglo Norness. Captain Demarci, was the superintendant standing by. A young Italian gentleman with a Master's and Chief's ticket. Got wrong off James Marr for reading our Daily Mail when we were 12 on, 12 off standby, circulating hydraulics. he told Mr. Marr in no uncertain terms that he had absolutely no authority over him and sat down and continued to read. Mr. Marr was less than happy and more than embarrassed. we were just plain amused :lol:

1.JPG

The double bottoms and centre duct keels with cargo and bilge and ballast pipes. I and my mate Tony installed the Hydraulic pipes for all the valves on both ships, we spent most of the time in the duct keels and pump room, no better than being underground. France Fenwick are parked at the Corporation quay. and Harrisons Craftsman is at Greenwells in another picture.

2.JPG
Advanced stage of bottom construction, fitting shop left. What a lot of wood, what a lot of cranes.

3.JPG

"Daresn't and Cannot" watch a mate welding. The foreman is approaching a conscientious objector (to work), depressed because Sunderland got beat on Saturday, (nowt new there) , he spent all his pay on drink and is exhausted by his wandering around the yard raffling a ten bob note. The conscientious objector unperturbed and will say "Send me to jail, see if I care." The foreman is powerless, everyone knows it so his tactic is to talk about pigeons, leeks, horses, women or mention that Newcastle got beat as well and hope he can cheer the despondent up enough to get a half an hours work out of him sometime today. In the old days when a foreman approached you at least pretended to be busy. here the old order is evidently done.

4.JPG

April 1972 and the ship dwarfs the large buildings behind it. Here the reason for one cantilever crane having a jib upside down to its mate is clearly evident. Between them, the crane drivers did some extremely difficult work using this technique. Cranes on gantries along the old North sands berths handle smaller prefabricated sections, and sub assemblies.
"Cannot add another attachment, 4 is the maximum" so .... continued on next page.
fitter

Re: NAESS CRUSADER page 1

Postby magoonigal » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:37 pm

Excellant Pictures Tom.

But still trying to get my head around the Crane within a crane concept............ :ugeek:
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Re: NAESS CRUSADER page 1

Postby fitter » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:11 am

There were certain lifts where the jib of the sloping down one could pass beneath, (even slightly), the sloping up one when they usually handled large sections together. They often turned huge sections upside down outside the fab sheds and being able to do so was essential. when they manouvered fabricated sections into place together on the ship the jibs would sometimes cross a little to do so. If they were both the same way up this wouldn't be possible. Even so I think that there was one instance when the jibs collided. There must be a plater, shipwright or crane driver around that can explain the detail properly. If digital cameras had been invented in those days, crane drivers could have made a small fortune from photography.

These are a series of dozens of photos of the building, and only a few have been posted but there would be little value in [posting more. Sadly there are none of the actual launch though i did take some rather poorer ones of the launch myself from on board the ship.
fitter

Return to Thompson JL / North Sands