NORTH SANDS

Re: NORTH SANDS

Postby magoonigal » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:37 am

Any information is usful no matter how small.

It could be the 'Missing Link' that someone else is looking for to complete their story!

:ugeek:
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby fitter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:40 pm

In my post of Friday March 1st, I suggested that Nedi, the last name of the North Sands may have been the first name of the owner of Troodos shipping. I have since found out the truth:
Loucas Haji-Ioannou, died in 2008. He was a Greek shipping tycoon who owned more tonnage than Niarchos and Onassis. He was born into a poor Greek Cypriot farming family at the village of Pedhoulas in the Troodos mountains. He was the eldest of twelve children. After leaving school, he worked as a salesman until 1950, when an uncle took him on as an accountant before appointing him manager of his office in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. When his uncle died unexpectedly, Haji-Ioannou started his own import-export business in Saudi Arabia, and became the sole importer of Heraklis and Titan cement.
In 1959 Haji-Ioannou moved to London, where he began shipping owning with the purchase of a 10,500-ton dry cargo ship Nedi, named after his wife. By the time he moved to Athens in 1965 he had built up a fleet of more than twenty general cargo vessels, becoming a major client of British shipbrokers.
He bought his first tanker in 1969, and within ten years was a major player in the oil tanker business.
During the Iran-Iraq war, large oil tankers loading from Iran's Kharg Island were easy targets for Iraqi aircraft. Shipping insurance escalated but Haji-Ioannou equipped his ships with additional safety systems and thereby he obtained insurance at much more favourable prices and was one of the few owners prepared to ship oil from Kharg Island. He made a fortune from the operations and by 1985 added 27 ships to his fleet. He was the world's largest independent shipowner, by 1990 and his company Troodos Shipping controlled more than fifty 50 ships totalling 7.5 million tonnes dead weight).
He married Nedi Misirli, in 1958. And had three children, Polys, Stelios, and Clelia. Polys has his own fleet of ships; Stelios is the founder of airline EasyJet.
So I must correct my suggestion that the Nedi, (formerly North Sands), was the first name of the owner when it was in fact the first name of his wife. :oops:
fitter

Postby magoonigal » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:08 pm

More Flotsam! but interesting Flotsam.

Nedi as a girl's name is a variant of Neda (Slavic), and the meaning of Nedi is "born on Sunday".

Its amazing what you learn on North East Maritime!!
magoonigal

Postby fitter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:17 am

Yes, the sum total of what the members know and their generosity in sharing with others, not just knowledge but photographs, often rare ones, is amazing. Time for those responsible to begin publishing an annual "North East Maritime "FOCUS" just like J.C. and John Lingwoods "Significant Ships" series. :P
I should add that if the Doxford service engineers report on his visit to "NEDI" was anything to go by, Troodos Shippings fortune must have been due in part to the non expenditure on repairs and maintenance.
fitter

Postby northeast » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:19 pm

magoonigal wrote:More Flotsam! but interesting Flotsam.

Nedi as a girl's name is a variant of Neda (Slavic), and the meaning of Nedi is "born on Sunday".

Its amazing what you learn on North East Maritime!!

Knowing you, I thought you would have got Neddie Seagoon involved somwhere in the story .... ;)
northeast
Site Admin

Postby magoonigal » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Well I was tempted!!

:geek:
magoonigal

Postby averheijden » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:26 pm

fitter wrote:In my post of Friday March 1st, I suggested that Nedi, the last name of the North Sands may have been the first name of the owner of Troodos shipping. I have since found out the truth:
Loucas Haji-Ioannou, died in 2008. :

L.S

TROODOS SHIPPING well known!!

Shipping disaster

Main article: MT Haven
In April 1991, a Troodos-owned oil tanker suffered a disaster that resulted in the death of five Europeans and the disgorging up to 50,000 tonnes of crude oil into the sea - arguably the Mediterranean's worst-ever ecological disaster.[7] The tanker, M/T Haven, was an elderly vessel, formerly named Amoco Haven, sister ship of the ill-starred Amoco Cadiz that had foundered in 1978. Stelios was accused of poor maintenance and charged, in Italy, with manslaughter and also intimidating and attempting to bribe witnesses. Stelios blamed the accident on an error by one of the surviving crew members
Stelios and his father faced manslaughter charges for the deaths of their employees.[8] The jury acquitted Stelios and the case was appealed. Subsequent demands against Stelios for compensation were dismissed by the courts.[7]

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stelios_Ha ... g_disaster
averheijden

Postby magoonigal » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:40 pm

Even more secretive is the way he 'Hid' his ships.....

If you look up TROODOS Shipping Co Ltd in Lloyds Shipowners and Managers for 1976 you will find they only Owned one ship, the ACACEA 64/1199. Even more interesting is the address, c/o J Matthews Shipping Company, Holywell, Flintshire & 8A Georghiou, Gennadiou Street, Limassol, Cyprus.

If you delve a bit further and look in Lloyds Confidential Index for November 1976 you find TROODOS SHIPPING & TRADING Ltd. 10th Floor, Stock Exchange Tower, Old Broad Street. London. Owner Loucas Hajioannou.
Nine Ships are listed and each one is under a separate Company.
i.e. CLEO Tanker ex Yuyo Maru No 8. Built 1959 and acquired 1973. Owner Clerco Cia. Nav. SA Panama. (Under Greek Flag.)
and NEDI, Tanker ex British Honour, Built 1958 and aquired 1973. Owner Gantline Cia. Nav., SA. Panama. (Under Greek Flag.)
Out of interest the other ships are DODONE 1954, Acq 1970, MONTAZA 1958, Acq 1976, PANOCEANIC FAME 1964 Acq 1976,
KLELIA 1963. Acq 1975, MARITSA III 1965, Acq 1973, SAVVAS 1959, Acq 1974 and PELOPIDAS 1957, Acq 1973.

If we look up the ACACEA we find she is Owned by a Single Ship Company called TROODOS SHIPPING CO Ltd, but Operated by Norinvest, A/S of Oslo and Managed by Otto A Muller. So I think we can assume this Company has nothing to do with the one we are looking at.

Two Associated Companies are listed under Troodos Shipping and Trading, ALASSIA SS Co Ltd and ELPIDON (Overseas ) Ltd.

ELPIDON (OVERSEAS) LTD, Trident House, 55-56 Aldgate High Street, London. Owner M Hajioannou. Two Ships are shown listed under separate Companies, PANAGHIA TINOU 1952, Aqd 1972 and Owned by Grace Transport Co, Panama and YPERAGIA 1948, Aqd 1972 and Owned by Hill Court Shipping Co., SA, Panama.

The ALASSIA Steamship Co Ltd of 6 Lloyds Avenue. London had Five ships, again under single ship companies and was Owned by Vassos Hajioannou.
ELLI 2 1952 Acq 1972, TOULLA 1953 Acq 1972, ELENI 2 1957 Acq 1972, KANARIS 1952 Acq 1972 and STALO 2 1968 Acq 1973.
The first four were ex KING, ALEXANDER, ARTHUR, GEORGE and MALCOLM, whilst the Stalo 2 was originally the ATHOS.

All the ships, he and his associates owned were bought on the second hand Market.

So I wnder how many other Companies were involved??????????

I would hate to do a Fleetlist, :ugeek:
magoonigal

Postby fitter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:49 am

Intriguing. Well researched. Got no reply when I emailed them years ago about Ex North Sands,perhaps now I know why.

confused.Tom :?
fitter

Postby Tony Frost » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:45 am

They also owned another closer to home NEDI(ex.THISTLEDALE)
Tony Frost

PreviousNext

Return to Thompson JL / North Sands