GREEN ISLAND ex.EASTERN RANGER

GREEN ISLAND ex.EASTERN RANGER

Postby Tony Frost » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:47 pm

EASTER RANGER bt.1962 Indo-China St.Nav.
Green Island.jpg
Tony Frost

Re: GREEN ISLAND ex.EASTERN RANGER

Postby fitter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:57 pm

J.L.Thompson yard number 707. Doxford 670LBD4 engine.
I have a duplicate entry for the engine builder. One is a Hawthorn Leslie contract (4241). The other id a Doxford contract (339). If anyone can say for certain which is correct I would be pleased to know.
This ship was sister to Eastern Rover, yard number 706 and annoyingly I also have similar duplicate entries for engine builders for this one as well.
fitter

Postby northeast » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:34 am

A quick check in LR shows they were both Hawthorn Leslie built Doxfords.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby fitter » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks George. I have a copy of Hawthorns original engine contracts and they are both clearly listed. I have also a copy of the original Doxford engine works contracts and they are both listed in there as well. I have manged to find out why. The contracts were Doxfords, Pallion, who were unable to complete them and subcontracted them to Hawthorn Leslie, who, as you will know, built dozens of Doxford engines under licence. Doxfords had two crankshafts built at Kobe Steelworks in Japan in the late 1960.s, early 1970s. I am almost certain that one was for the Sheaf Crest and the other for the Sheaf Field.it was at that time, having built the crankshafts that Kobe approached Doxfords to build Doxford engines under licence. I am not at liberty to say why, but Doxfords declined. You are correct, they were Hawthorn Leslie built though it is very likely that Doxfords did supply some of the components. thanks for taking the trouble to answer, it compelled me to find out why and my records are now amended.

Accuracy is a prerequisite, not an optional extra !! ;)
Tom
fitter

Postby fitter » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:18 pm

1-707 EASTERN RANGER (3).jpg
Eastern Ranger

Builders photo
fitter

Return to Thompson JL / North Sands