Built in 1971 by Doxford's

Renamed: 87 LAKE MICHIGAN - 89 KOTA MOLEK - 95 MYO HYANG 3 - 98 SANGWON

BU India 8.00

W - FAETHON   APR 1971.jpg
April 1971
MadMaxLab

Re: FAETHON

Postby northeast » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Wonderful collection of river craft Peter, and dwon on Corp Quay must be one of the BI pair TAIREA ex SALSETTE or TEESTA ex SALMARA, I think, both under these names from 1970.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Stephen Swinhoe » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Cornhill on the bouys,Prestwick and Whitburn down river at the steps,Pallion alongside the hopper.
Cheers,
Steve.
Stephen Swinhoe

Postby MadMaxLab » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:35 pm

My logbook shows that the BISN vessel was TAIREA.
MadMaxLab

Postby fitter » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:39 pm

Doxford built ship, Sulzer engine this was one of the ships that marked the end of the long standing tradition of Doxford ships having Doxford engines.
fitter

Postby fitter » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:00 pm

It's been a while since I looked at this picture, but what a lovely reminder of how things were back in the day. And a nice memory of British India ships at Corporation quay discharging sisal or some other rope making raw material with the tugs in attendance. Fatheon, built on the old berths with the overhead winches that were affectionately called cranes. I still am in awe of the men that sat in those little cabins all day and even more so any that were nightshift, especially in the days of riveting and steam locos, they wouldn't need to pay good money to inhale smoke. Sad that there will be a whole generation of Sunderland folk that have never seen anything of our shipbuilding and marine engineering, and sad that so many of the outstanding men that made it happen that have passed away. Fifty years ago as well!!! Incredible how quickly the years have passed. Lovely picture all the same.
fitter

Return to Doxford / Pallion