WAVE RULER

WAVE RULER

Postby MadMaxLab » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:28 pm

RFA WAVE RULER   2-8-1970.jpg
TYNE 2/8/1970
MadMaxLab

Re: WAVE RULER

Postby E28 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:28 pm

New paint job reverting to black hull ready for her next assignment as the static tanker at Gan, Addu Attol in the Maldives where she arrived 2 months after this photo taken. Based there for the benefit of both the RAF and RN she was herself replenished by passing BP tankers principally.
Remained there until march 1975 and sale for scrap.
Thats all folks. Sean.
E28

Re: WAVE RULER

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:33 pm

A Furness Shipbuilding product one of many Tankers built around that time by the Furness Yard, an acquaintance of mine had to go aboard her at Gan, she was moored Offshore, when she was first moored London could not get a MN "Volunteer" Engineer to look after her as I understand they had to live aboard on their own. Until a "volunteer" was found it was left to the RAF to look after her and this task was given to the Fitters on the RAF Rescue Launches which were based at Gan.
She is of course a Steam Job now decommissioned but there was a Diesel Generator aboard, I am not sure if the Genny was in the Engineroom or had been welded to the Deck Aft, however the RAF Fitters went aboard and found the Engineroom flooded up to the Bottom Plates, a bit of panic ensued until the Genny was started and the Bilge Pump and appropriate valves were located to start to pump her out. Eventually a "Volunteer"was found after the O/C of the Base made his displeasure known to those in London in regards to the situation after praising the Fitters for their efforts.
Hornbeam

Return to Shiprepairing on the Tyne