Undine

Undine

Postby Whickham » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:34 pm

I hope I am not treading on Keelman's toes by posting this one. It came up on the TugTalk forum recently as having been posted on yet another site and I recognised the username and the quality of the photo. Nothing known about UNDINE and all I can find on Mid-Tyne Shiprepairing Co Ltd is that they were based at Dunston (as opposed to Mid Tyne Ferries based at Hebburn).

Undine.jpg
Photo by Keelman
Dave
Whickham

Re: Undine

Postby magoonigal » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:52 am

Poor wee thing looks like she could do with some TLC herself. :)
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:48 am

Looks like a former Foyboat? As Foyboat could be a local term a Foyboat takes the Bow/Stern ropes from the vessel to the Jetty or the mooring Buoys when the vessel is going alongside/mooring they also cast off the vessel when sailing, one of those jobs that goes back many many years and is/was sacrosanct in River Law.
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:04 pm

magoonigal wrote:Poor wee thing looks like she could do with some TLC herself. :)

Reminds me of the house painter I hired some years ago, the sign he placed against the front wall showed little in the way of any creditable paintwork.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:54 pm

If she was a former Foyboat it may be difficult to trace her lineage as these Craft were privately owned Limited Company
"Family Boats " and possibly not even Registered except with the Port Authority and Ships Agent who hired them in otherwords a "Closed Shop" as you had to be family to work on them.
I have no idea on how they were paid by the Ships Agent and if it was divided on a Shares Bases depending on how many shares you had in the Family Business, NE may know more than I being involved in Port affairs.
Why do I think she is possibly an ex "Foyboat"? The additional structure on her Stern.
Hornbeam

Return to Shiprepairing on the Tyne