Pride of Rotterdam

Pride of Rotterdam

Postby Whickham » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:07 am

PRIDE OF ROTTERDAM arriving for A&P at Hebburn 08/01/2014.

Photos by Hebburn Lad

16) Pride Of Rotterdam (08.01.14).jpg

19) Pride Of Rotterdam (08.01.14).jpg

23) Pride Of Rotterdam (08.01.14).jpg

28) Pride Of Rotterdam (08.01.14).jpg
Dave
Whickham

Re: Pride of Rotterdam

Postby magoonigal » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:51 pm

IMO number : 9208617
Name of ship : PRIDE OF ROTTERDAM (since 01/04/2001)
Call Sign : PBAJ

Gross tonnage : 59925
DWT : 10100
Type of ship : Passenger/Ro-Ro Cargo Ship
Year of build : 2001
Flag : Netherlands (since 01/04/2001)

Registered owner
HAMPTON SHIPPING BV Care of P&O North Sea Ferries BV , Luxemburgweg 2, 3198 LG Europoort Rotterdam, Netherlands.
Paul Hood. + WSS Tyneside Branch Hon Sec.
magoonigal

Postby teesships » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:18 am

News item - pending announcement by P&O Ferries:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60779001

Does this affect North Sea Ferries?

Ron M
teesships

Postby Patrick Hill » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:45 am

teesships wrote:News item - pending announcement by P&O Ferries:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60779001

Does this affect North Sea Ferries?

Ron M

It will as NSF no longer exists - it is just P&O now.
Rgds

Patrick
Patrick Hill

Postby Tynesider » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:48 am

Oh dear does not exactly look promising does it and my mate is engineer on the Spirit of Britain
Mike
Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider

Postby northeast » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:54 pm

It's OK, it's being bought by Abramovich .... :x
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:49 pm

I suspect Mike your Mate the Engineer will be offered a New Contract, of course on very different terms and it's up to him to accept or refuse. Companies these days tend to replace the non Commissioned (for want of a better way of putting it) with non English cheaper Crews from the Far East bearing in mind there is a surplus due to the number of Cruise Liners that have been have scrapped.
Hopefully if P&O ask for Money from the Government (aka you and I) the Government will remember that the Indian Government refused permission for their Nationals to sail South in 1982 causing all sorts of problems trying to get the vessel's under STUFT crewed, mind you the British newly recruited Crew didn't do themselves any favours but that's another story.
I would have thought that a "Private" Security Officer handcuffing another individual is an assault on that person.
Nearly all of the Shipping Companies are taking advantage of the situation and using Foreign Labour more and more although it has to be said with some Red Ensign Companies have always used Chinese and Indian Non Com Crews, The up side is they made some great Curries :) something which I still have at least three time a week barring for Friday which is Fish and Chip day and not to be interfered with :x
It's a Seadog eat Seadog World today in the M.N. ( Hopefully not in the Curries) :oops:
Hornbeam

Postby northeast » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:03 pm

You must take account that few of the P&O fleet are truly British, PRIDE OF Hull reg. Bahamas and on a quick look many of the Dover ships are reg. Cyprus. Understand that many of the 'new' crews are recruits from Latvia, Georgia and Romania and employed via an intermediate contractor. So any rules about limiting EU citizens from working in UK are probably circumvented on more than one count.
Let's hope that such as Stena and DFDS can supply tonnage to take the freight if not the passengers, where I guess numbers must still be rather depressed.
I will happily boycott P&O .... but there again, my passport has expired!!
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:24 am

I would agree NE that a lot of these vessel's are not registered in U.K. But a fair number of Crew are British especially when it comes to those who are classed as Officers both on Deck and in the Engineroom, apparently two Companies are going to be working for P&O one to provide the Officers and one to provide the Crew. When it comes to the Masters and First Mates they have exempt Pilotage Certificates for the various Ports they To and Fro from and of course the Chief and Second Engineers an "intimate" knowledge of the Engineering of the vessel's. Most probably they will be offered knew Contracts with the Sub Contractors ( Clyde?)and depending on their new Rates of Pay could be in a Win, Win situation which would make the move attractive depending on how you read the Redundancy Rules.
When it comes to the rest of the Crew if what you say is correct in regards to their Nationalities there could be a security problem there bearing in mind if the present situation or any future situation affecting directly N.A.T.O. V Russia these Ferries would be STUFT to move Tanks/Troops etc to Europe from G.B., when you read the following paragraph you may understand why Spetnaz work in a different way to our Special Forces when it comes to infiltration.
As we are hearing on the news there are complaints about how slow the G.B. Authorities are dealing with the influx of Refugees from Ukraine, the reason is because of enhanced security checks to make sure the Russians have not infiltrated the Refugee chain bearing in mind the Refugees are coming from all over Ukraine and not one particular area where people tend to know each other or their own area. The unaccompanied children will be rushed through with minimum checks of course as they should be.
Hornbeam

Return to Shiprepairing on the Tyne