ACKLAM CROSS

ACKLAM CROSS

Postby northeast » Sat May 12, 2012 8:36 pm

A trials photo of the lovely old ACKLAM CROSS
Completed in August 1933, 150grt and the first British-built diesel-electric tug
Hall Russell, Aberdeen (728)
Sold to Malta as FOX TERRIER in 1964
Broke adrift and sank on 18/2/1969 while under tow from Valletta to Zueitina, Libya
ACKLAM CROSS RC.jpg
northeast
Site Admin

Re: ACKLAM CROSS

Postby teesships » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:36 pm

I make no apology for using one of my own earliest photos, with all its limitations. I liked this old tug, unique in the fleet. Alongside is the BANBURY CROSS and, astern, the only image I personally took of the TEMPLE CROSS dating from 1912.
ACKLAM CROSS at the Tees Towing tug station on 25 August 1961.
1217acklamcross.jpg
And again on 9 March 1964 bearing her new funnel colours prior to sailing for Malta.
040616acklamx2.jpg
040616acklamx3.jpg
Ron
teesships

Postby teesships » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:54 pm

A couple of views by Albert Weller with the ACKLAM CROSS as head tug for the CHINKOA (q.v.) sailing from Middlesbrough Dock.
acklamcrossxawnegx1.jpg
acklamcrossxawnegx2.jpg
Ron
teesships

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:20 am

She was certainly a unique looking Tug, although built in Aberdeen her design as I understand was due to the "Old Man Crosthwaite" going to America and looking at their Tugs which seem to give the impression that they are moving even when stood still due to the "Rake" in their appearance. Her propulsion system also made her unique at the time of her build as Diesel Electric was an expensive alternative to the normal propulsion systems used which Tug Engineers were familiar with. From what I gather a D/E system cost 50% more than the conventional system to install. How reliable she was I have no idea but She did last many years when other Tugs had been and gone and Crosthwaite never built another one relying mainly instead on Steam or Crossley Diesels. I suspect her longevity was down to the fact that she was most probably the 'Old Mans' pet project a bit like the 'Egton' was.
Hornbeam

Postby teesships » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:50 pm

On 9 March 1964 in addition to taking close-ups of the ACKLAM CROSS in her new colours, I also took this line up featuring GOLDEN CROSS, MARTON CROSS, and ACKLAM CROSS. My record-keeping on this occasion is so fantastic I can tell you that the vessels in the background are the VEENDAM and CANTICK HEAD!
golden+marton+acklam-cross090364.jpg
Ron M
teesships

Postby northeast » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:43 am

Do I remember correctly Ron that the nex wharf was Cochrane's and used for pipe exports? Vague memory of NORMAN QUEEN or sister on there.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby teesships » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:36 pm

George,
Had to check an old map to make sure, but Cochrane;s Wharf was the next along from the tug station. Normanby Wharf was/is then further on.

Ron M
teesships

Postby northeast » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:57 pm

Thanks Ron, that's as I remember it then.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:05 pm

It didn't take the Scrapmen long to strip out the old Normanby Iron Works, the site was taken over by 'Capt' Downes as the first Offshore Supply Base at the very beginning of the North Sea oil finds, the least said about the chap himself the better although he did have an interesting property at Kirkleavington which was a former Bunker and the Command Centre of the Anti Aircraft Guns on Teesside it has an Underground Reserve built underneath it of the same size as the Concrete Bunker (now a Bungalow ) above. The Bunker was built in the grounds of the old Hall which was Northern Command H/Q until well into the 1950's before the Home Office took it over as accommodation for the Circuit Judges. It is now a Hotel called 'Judges' and run by the Son of Downes, hopefully a better Employer than his Father was :x
Hornbeam

Return to Tees Ship Towage (all companies)