FRANCIS SAMUELSON

Re: FRANCIS SAMUELSON

Postby northeast » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:36 am

We have her engines indeed as triple expansion

"T3cyl (12.5, 20, 34 x 24in), 77nhp, 1 screw" by Smith's Dock when they completed her in 1924.
Some of the whalers were the same, others a bit more high powered.
northeast
Site Admin

Postby Hornbeam » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:39 am

Thank You for that Northeast, in regards to one of the photographs of the "Sammy" and the comments about Clarence Jetty in the background certainly it was well used in the 1950's mainly for the discharge of military/ battlefield scrap into railway Wagons for onward shipment to Darlington. Usually this type of scrap was discharged at Stockton Quay again into Railway Wagons on the extension to the famous Stockton-Darlington Railway. Grabs were used to offload the scrap inevitably some of it fell out into the river and when the wharf was dredged usually by the Priestman Grab as it was a wooden pile wharf bits of military equipment came back up which was filched by the Crew, I can remember to this day the hooha when one of the Crew was caught cleaning up a Bren Gun, the what the call it certainly hit the fan.
Hornbeam

Postby Hornbeam » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:15 am

She certainly had a large pair of vents, the Sammy was a powerful Tug in its day before the Diesels came along and as such her steam output from the single Boiler would be high, being a natural draught coal burner the Stokehold would need all the Air it could get. The Stokehold Vents served another purpose, inside the Vent pipewok on the top flight of the Stokehold was a small winch this was used to lift the canvas ash bags up to Deck Level for the contents to be put over the side.The ashbags were handmade by the sailmaker out of canvas at the Graving Dock, they were around about the size of a 25kg bag with rope stitched around the outside with a loop on each corner for lifting. The sailmaker Uncle Tom (ex Constantine Shipping) must have made hundreds of them over the years as all coal burners used them, they did not have steam powered Ash ejection chutes fitted as with the larger seagoing coal fired vessels. Must add that the bags and rope attachments were all hand stitched with Palm and Needle a skill which Uncle Tom taught me, I still have my Hockey Stick Bearing Scraper complete with its canvas sheath which I made myself.
Hornbeam

Previous

Return to T.C.C. craft