Dredger at Thornaby

Dredger at Thornaby

Postby taximan » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:13 am

This dredger is shown Moored at Thornaby. When I first acquired the photo I spent some time trying to identify the craft but without success. All I could make out from the original picture was what I took to be the port of registry it the stern but only the letters 'SEA' were visible and I took it to be part of the name 'Swansea'
This morning suffering from insomnia as I often do, I was looking through my collection and doing a little research when quite by chance I came across a reference on the Scottish Built Ships site, to a dredger for the Swansea harbour authority by the name of Abertawe built by William Simons in 1875. at the bottom of the page was a note.
Vessel history
05/1891-11/1892 hired by the Tees Conservancy Commissioners for £60 per week

Problem solved !

Swansea dredger.jpg
Just one more trip
taximan

Re: Dredger at Thornaby

Postby northeast » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:22 am

An excellent photo from that period, Taximan. Is it OK for me to add it to the Scottish site?

I don't suppose you can name the ship in frame behind her? ;)
northeast
Site Admin

Re: Dredger at Thornaby

Postby taximan » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:35 am

northeast wrote:An excellent photo from that period, Taximan. Is it OK for me to add it to the Scottish site?

I don't suppose you can name the ship in frame behind her? ;)

Of course you can use it, its probably in the public domain anyway. As for the ship on the stocks, I am sure it will be listed on the Tees built site :lol:
Just one more trip
taximan

Return to T.C.C. craft