KNOCKMAROON

Re: KNOCKMAROON

Postby taximan » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:27 am

Hornbeam wrote:G.M. Taximan, your finding of the tins of peas does not surprise me they were a strange Crew on her and as I indicated earlier very much the English version of 'Para Handy'. Were you with little Sammy and his Trench Coat which when he took it of apparently stood up on its own and were you at the TCC when the smuggling incident occurred? As you are aware the John H moored over there did you do night watchman on her?
Always grateful to a decent Night Watchman who had steam up and all I had to do was crack open the boiler Main stops and let everything warm through whilst having a quick breakfast!

When you say 'Little Sammy' do you mean the guy who looked after the buoys & Moorings stored at the head of the graving dock? If so, I have had many a mug of tea in his cabin but I don't remember his trench coat.
I started working on the river late in the summer of 1964 so I was not there when the 'Amos' was arrested, but the incident was often talked about. I never had a watch on her so never had to raise steam in her although that was part of my duties when watching on No 10 Dredger.
Just one more trip
taximan

Re: KNOCKMAROON

Postby Hornbeam » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:30 am

That's him one of the 'Characters' on the river, found fame a couple of years ago in the 'Remember When' supplement when a photograph appeared of him in his boat near Stockton, by 1964 I had moved on but of course remember No 10 she had a big and I mean big Compound Main Engine the eccentric rods were of a bigger diameter than the Connecting Rods on No11 but that's how the built them in those days which is why they lasted so long, in today's world it would be called " Over Engineered " her Chief was Bill F. A really nice chap looked a bit like Alistar Sim.
Hornbeam

Previous

Return to T.C.C. craft